for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toilet Training
  5. Staying dry through the night

Staying dry through the night Lock Rss

My nearly 4 yr old DS1 has been day toilet trained for about 6 months, but he still wets EVERY NIGHT!! He wears the Aldi brand training pants to bed. We've tried not allowing him to drink after dinner, and also waking him up to go to the toilet when we go to bed (usually 10ish) but these are not working.

Does anyone have any advice, other things I could try?? We've got DS3 due in a couple of weeks and would love to not have to buy 3 lots of nappies!!

Thanks smile
I got sick of buying nappies just for ds2 for night times too. He is now 5.5 but we still take him to the toilet everynight before we go to bed. He is dry 99% of the time. I just got some waterproof sheets and prepared to do extra washing. We started this at about 4years. Even now if we forget to take him at night he will wet. I do think it made a difference taking him out of the night nappy though, I thought he would continue to wee throughout the night, however he is mostly dry as long as we do take him before we go to bed.
Hey, thanks for the reply. My husband and I have been talking about it and decided that we will probably go cold turkey with the night time nappies too. Not sure when we should start it though, as winter is not really the ideal time, also with bub #3 on the way very soon, the idea of more washing is not particularly appealing.

We have a waterproof mattress protector on his bed already, but I might try getting one of those mats (not sure what they are called) to go on top of his fitted sheet, so if he does wet then it's only the top sheet and PJs getting wet.

Will keep you posted smile
was going to ask same question
ds 4years has been day tt for about 6months also - but when i put him in night nappies he simply wee's into them - so have been thinking bout going cold turkey..
where do you buy those sheets from? my son is in a queen bed....

thanks ladies and best of luck
In my experience the only thing for it is time and them actually having the motivation to be dry. It's perfectly normal for a 4 year old to be wetting at night even when they have been TT in the day; so much so in fact that Drs won't usually intervene until a child is at least 7. From what I understand there is a brain bladder connection that needs to be made for them to be dry at night and when that happens varies from child to child.

What worked for DS1 was being motivated and an alarm that sounded at the first sign of him being wet. We did the whole pajama pants and not, restricting fluid intake after a certain hour, taking him to the toilet before we went to bed, sticker charts, etc.

Is he a heavy sleeper?

argh. we are in the same boat

DD is 4 & she has been TT for 1.5 years during the day & a good 12 months at night (lucky i know), but since we have moved interstate, she is wetting the bed at night again & is being lazy during the day. We have resorted to taking her to the toilet before we go to bed at night to try to stop it, some days it works, some not. During the day i have stopped putting knickers on her - unless we go out of course.

She is a really heavy sleeper & doesnt even know that she has wet the bed half the time...

argh. kids.
To cammo17, the mats are called 'bed mats' and I've seen them on ebay. Just click on the Baby category and look under toilet training.

To hippie_kiwi, yes he is a heavy sleeper, which is probably not helping things. Also he has been a lot more lazy during the day now. An indication maybe that he still wants to be a 'baby', like his younger brother and new baby brother coming soon?

I think I will probably leave it until it starts to get a bit warmer and then try going cold turkey.
Thanks Jowill2000, that will be helpful, cheers

When my son was going into a bed we had a newborn in hospital (very sick, was there for 3months), we had no money and my parents were going to give away one of their new queen beds cos they moved house. Rather than spending lots of cash on a bed, we took the queen. My son LOVES it, we have a big old house so we have the room to do it. My dd 2yrs is ready to go into a bigger bed and i didn't even think of a smaller bed for her. When my son has been sick, its been great having the room to lie with him, etc.... I know it may sound odd, but we are happy this way. Also if people need to come stay at our house we (dh and i) bunk in with my son. Oh not to mention, we had heaps of Queen size bedding, so didn't need to buy new sheets, quilts etc

Going to try this whole night training next week - wish me luck smile

Thanks Jowill2000, that will be helpful, cheers

When my son was going into a bed we had a newborn in hospital (very sick, was there for 3months), we had no money and my parents were going to give away one of their new queen beds cos they moved house. Rather than spending lots of cash on a bed, we took the queen. My son LOVES it, we have a big old house so we have the room to do it. My dd 2yrs is ready to go into a bigger bed and i didn't even think of a smaller bed for her. When my son has been sick, its been great having the room to lie with him, etc.... I know it may sound odd, but we are happy this way. Also if people need to come stay at our house we (dh and i) bunk in with my son. Oh not to mention, we had heaps of Queen size bedding, so didn't need to buy new sheets, quilts etc

Going to try this whole night training next week - wish me luck smile

We are the same, ds1 when straight into a double and ds2 straight into a queen. We already had the beds (set up as spares) and all the linen so it didn't make sense to go buy a smaller bed when they'll just need bigger beds eventually anyway. A definite bonus that we can sleep with them if they're sick etc!

Good luck with night training smile
Our 5 year old DS was day time TT by 2, however has just been TT at night in the last few weeks. As pp mentioned, it normally takes longer for the night time dryness to happen.

l was told by a nurse friend that by taking your child to the toilet when you go to bed, eg. 10.30pm, it doesn't help train their brain to stay dry for the entire night eg. 8pm to 7am. Not sure whether this is correct or not!

Also, if you can't get a hold of the bed mats, l 'double make' the bed. So mattress protector, fitted sheet, mattress protector, fitted sheet. So if he does wet in the night, you're just stripping the bed rather than trying to make it again. Good luck.

well with us dd decided she did not want to wear nappies to bed anymore.
I didn't read anything about tt, I didn't ask anyone anything - I just did what we needed for our house to run smoothly. She had been day trained since 2 and she must have been nearly 3 or just over 3, I can't remember.
Basically, for the first week we took her to the toilet before she went to bed. I took her to the toilet (potty in the bedroom) at around 11 pm when I went to bed, but I didn't wake her up. A dream wee if you like. Dh would then do the same when he went to bed at around 2/3am. We did that for the first couple of weeks actually - solely because it meant we didn't have a wet bed. Then we reduced it to go before bed and go at around 11. I don't believe that water should be restricted at all. I know that if she drank a whole water bottle then she would wet the bed pretty soon after going to sleep - so I just made sure I took her within an hour of going to sleep.
As it went on we just reduced how often we took her or judged how much water she drank as to whether she needed a dream wee or not. She naturally became dry at night as the months passed. It was no problem at all for us to take her. She stayed asleep, we had a dry bed, she was comfy. We all win. She even started waking up and taking herself to the toilet by 4.

I have different theories on toilet training though and believe it should be exposed from early on. I think the use of disposables makes it harder for kids to associate it from the start, then they are suddenly trying to have it taught to them when they are 2/3 years old. I think the connections are stuffed from the start and thats why it is getting later and later.

I have had no dramas at all with night tt. We just judged it by how much she drank and when she wet the bed. We knew she need dream wees if she wet the bed still. So we haven't had too many wet nights.

Hope you find something that works!
oh my it is good to hear there are other parents with toileting issues. However my son is 9 in November and still wearing pull ups! He has recently been diagnosied by the paeds as having ADD and until they have that sorted they are not concerned about the bed wetting. Easy for them to say, they are not buying the nappies. We have done all the above tricks everyone else has tried also but like one other member said it is all to do with the brain/bladder connection. I wish we could just flick the switch for them tongue
Sign in to follow this topic