Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toilet Training
  5. How long til they 'get it'

How long til they 'get it' Lock Rss

Hi everyone,
I started toilet training my 2 yr 3 month son three days ago and although he is showing signs he's ready, he doesn't seem to know how make himself pee. We have put him in undies during the days except for nap time and have been placing him on the potty at regular time. He is reasonable happy to sit there but nothing comes out. This morning is peed on the carpet a minute after getting off the potty. Any tips on how to encourage him to pee while sitting there. I think when he does it we might start making some progress.
Also how long in your experience until boys start to get it. I know we are a long way from accident-free territory but I'd love to start seeing some progress.
Yours, slightly frustrated and alittle confused,
Tanya
Once they do it the first time make a really big fuss out of it, also a treat works aswell, i made fruit smoothie icypoles for DS1 and when he did the pee the very first time i gave him his treat well he clicked on straight away after the six treats after each go he had the hang of it and we never had any problems except at first he went dry through the night for about 5 months then started wetting through the nigh so he wears a pull up at night now smile

treats can be stickers etc
a small toy

something they understand and enjoy works best!

all in all it took about 2 days and he had the hang of it! will be doing the same with DS2 when he is showing some interest in the toilet..

Goodluck!
In my experience, there is very little effort involved if their bodies are ready and aware. You can start by letting them develop the awareness over time without nappies outside or sometimes without nappies. I don't think you should be making a huge deal with praise etc about toilet training, because accidents are bound to happen and it just seems unnecessary because of course they don't want to wee themselves! Once they are aware of what they have to do and are capable, most kids will pick it up quickly.

My daughter was not ready until about 2 and a half, my son was ready before 2. So I think it depends.

In my experience, there is very little effort involved if their bodies are ready and aware. You can start by letting them develop the awareness over time without nappies outside or sometimes without nappies. I don't think you should be making a huge deal with praise etc about toilet training, because accidents are bound to happen and it just seems unnecessary because of course they don't want to wee themselves! Once they are aware of what they have to do and are capable, most kids will pick it up quickly.

My daughter was not ready until about 2 and a half, my son was ready before 2. So I think it depends.

I agree that when they are ready, you don't need alot of effort but disagree about the praise.

Kids do sooooo well with praise and if you praise them, they are more likely to continue with whatever it is you want them doing.

When my DD did her first wee in the toilet i gave her a HUGE amount of praise and from then on we didn't have many problem. but were times when she would delibrately wet herself just to see what reaction she got....i never got angry of course but let her know that wee's go in the toilet...once she did her next wee in the toilet, she got heaps of praise and no accidents again!!

not sure on the difference of toilet training a boy tho....i will soon find out tho haha

I agree that when they are ready, you don't need alot of effort but disagree about the praise.

Kids do sooooo well with praise and if you praise them, they are more likely to continue with whatever it is you want them doing.

When my DD did her first wee in the toilet i gave her a HUGE amount of praise and from then on we didn't have many problem. but were times when she would delibrately wet herself just to see what reaction she got....i never got angry of course but let her know that wee's go in the toilet...once she did her next wee in the toilet, she got heaps of praise and no accidents again!!

not sure on the difference of toilet training a boy tho....i will soon find out tho haha

oh its funny you mention training a boy cause he was the one that taught me hehe i was trying the easy way sitting on the toilet and then after he got the hang of that id show him he can do it the other way if he likes but he was adamant that he was standing up like his daddy! DS1 was 2 years and 8 months when he was trained DS2 is nearly two and has no interest in it not even with the following me to the toilet to see what this little area of the house is used for haha

Hi everyone,
I started toilet training my 2 yr 3 month son three days ago and although he is showing signs he's ready, he doesn't seem to know how make himself pee. We have put him in undies during the days except for nap time and have been placing him on the potty at regular time. He is reasonable happy to sit there but nothing comes out. This morning is peed on the carpet a minute after getting off the potty. Any tips on how to encourage him to pee while sitting there. I think when he does it we might start making some progress.
Also how long in your experience until boys start to get it. I know we are a long way from accident-free territory but I'd love to start seeing some progress.
Yours, slightly frustrated and alittle confused,
Tanya

This is the EXACT same place we are finding our selves at. Our DS is the same age and is doing all the above. He will happily sit there with a toy/snuggy/drink/food/tv for half hour if I let him with NO result in the potty. Then within 5 minutes of getting off, go into another room and do a massive wee then come and tell me (or I can hear him). We speak about it all the time and he tells us "Wee and poo's in the potty. not floor" So if he gets this, he wants to wear jocks or no nappy, will happily sit on the potty or loo, THEN WHY ISNT HE DOING A WEE ON THERE!!! Or he will do a poo in the bath and scream out to me "I did a poo in the bath" and when I go to investigate, he's practically climbing the walls as he doesnt want to be in the bath with his poo. Why do it in there then????

We had a friend come over yesterday with a boy 6 weeks younger and he is doing really well, he even did a wee whilst at ours and we all gave him praise (even my DS was clapping saying 'well done Jack' with a massive smile on his face)

Today I am sooo ashamed and upset with myself as I got sooo angry at him sad Then when it was time to have a nap he cried to sleep saying he ' I wants nappy off to do wee and poos in potty make mummy so happy' I had to leave the room in tears knowing that I had upset him that much that then he wanted to try 'please' me.

I go back to work in less than 2 weeks which he will then go back to daycare 3 days a week. Do I persist, wait or what? I am at a loss. Frustrating, tiring, upsetting.

He has always been quite quick to pick up things. Not to mention he is a VERY tall boy (on the 98 percentile for age) and most people think he is 3 already and expect more from him. So many people have next to no issues which is fantastic, Im pleased for them but nearly all things I have read say similar things and I am trying.....Is there someone you can hire to come and toilet train your child? hahaha I'm kidding, but is there? smile
Sign in to follow this topic