Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toilet Training
  5. Not taking himself to toilet/potty

Not taking himself to toilet/potty Lock Rss

Hi all,

My son is 2 and a half and has shown some progress with TT. He can hold on for 1hr+ and will wee/poo when I guess that he needs to go and I put him on the potty. But unless I put him on the potty he doesn't take himself, even if he is busting. I have tried asking him if he needs to go, but he always just says know (quite quickly and prob without really thinking about it).

We have a star chart (which he loves) and I give him lots of praise. It has been 3-4 weeks since we started toilet training. Is it just a matter of time before he takes himself? ... or does anyone have any hints or tips?

Many thanks!

Hi all,

My son is 2 and a half and has shown some progress with TT. He can hold on for 1hr+ and will wee/poo when I guess that he needs to go and I put him on the potty. But unless I put him on the potty he doesn't take himself, even if he is busting. I have tried asking him if he needs to go, but he always just says know (quite quickly and prob without really thinking about it).

We have a star chart (which he loves) and I give him lots of praise. It has been 3-4 weeks since we started toilet training. Is it just a matter of time before he takes himself? ... or does anyone have any hints or tips?

Many thanks!

I would say give it time. My DS is nearly 7 and is always too busy (and lazy) to go to the loo and I still have to tell him sometimes!! I remember doing the same thing as a kid.

If you see him busting just say 'right off to the loo' rather than asking him.
My ds is also 2 1/2 and I have been Tt the same amount of time and also have the same problem I tell him to go he will stay dry all day but he never takes himself he will wet his pants and keep on playing and not even tell me and he knows it wrong cause he stats away from me if he wets himself it's so hard to stay positive all the time and say oh well next time we will go potty. any tips will be great I have checked out the 3 day potty training but I can't dedicate all my time to him as I have 2 other kids.

The other strange thing is will stay dry for all naps but when he wakes I have to take him potty or he won't go

DD 6/7/05 DD 29/7/07 and Due 20 June

What I have found with my DD is, and I know others have posted similar comments on here, that she seems to get really irritated if you say "do you need to go to the potty?"!

Try phrasing it other ways. Say "don't forget you're wearing your jocks" or "do you remember where the toilets are (if you are out)" or things like that. For some reason, the child doesn't seem to find it so irritating - I guess because you're not actually telling/asking them to go to the toilet, you're simply reminding them. You're also probably correct that your son is just answering "no" automatically without thinking about it - so if you phrase it different, he won't be able to answer automatically at first because he'll have to think about what you've asked.

And yes, agree with JLL22, if you can see he's busting, then just take him even if he says he doesn't want to.
Sign in to follow this topic