Nappy Pants

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toilet Training
  5. has the idea of going to potty...

has the idea of going to potty... Lock Rss

My DD is on day 3 of TT and she has gotten the idea of going to the potty and she knows when she's going to do poo's or wee's and takes herself there sits on the potty and does it... but if I don't notice she's going, and go with her she forgets to take her pants/knickers off first.

Anyone had this happen and how did you overcome it?

She is doing so well, I am really proud of her.
I am just trying to keep a close eye on her so that I can make sure she takes her pants off, and does everything properly. But a couple of times if I am distracted, like washing the dishes or whatever, she has just taken herself and wee'd on the potty through her knickers.

I keep telling her to tell Mummy when she needs to go, and reinforcing the fact we take our pants off first - but she just runs off to the potty on her own.

Can she take her pants/knickers off on her own? My DD is almost 3 & sometimes still struggles with certain items of clothing & other times, just wants help.

I found in the early days, i just let her run around naked at home that way she could concentrate on going to the toilet & not worry about clothes.

DD will still sometimes leave it till the last minute & not have time to get her knickers off.
Thanks for the reply smile

Yes she can take her knickers off (and if she has pants on, usually at home I just leave knickers on, but if I do put pants on cos it's a bit cold, I'll put trackies or elastic waists that she can pull down herself) I have a few times let her run naked, and we have no problems, but thinking she needs to learn to take her pants off for potty so don't know if I should let her run naked all the time. Maybe I could give her a couple more days of naked time and then concentrate on pants later... Just hopefully before the weather gets colder.

Wow she is doing fantastic with going to the potty herself. That's great for day 3.
I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet. She will get the hang of it with time. Just keep telling her that you take your knickers off first and let her watch you go to the toilet and tell her what you're doing as you're taking your knickers off.
Just give her time and she will realise what to do smile

Wow she is doing fantastic with going to the potty herself. That's great for day 3.
I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet. She will get the hang of it with time. Just keep telling her that you take your knickers off first and let her watch you go to the toilet and tell her what you're doing as you're taking your knickers off.
Just give her time and she will realise what to do smile

Thanks smile She was going on her own on Day 1.. since the moment I showed her the potty! lol. I wasn't even going to start TT yet, but seeing as she took so well to the potty I thought I may as well keep going with it.

Yeah think I should just relax a bit, she is doing great, I just worry I am not doing things right.... why dont kids come with an instruction manual?!! tongue

Sign in to follow this topic