for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toilet Training
  5. Start NOW - we'll do it together!

Start NOW - we'll do it together! Lock Rss

Anyone want to start toilet training now? We can go through the process together, whinge together and share our successes and tips here...

We are on Day 6 here and it's going really well, I am actually seeing progress.

mumto3, Qld, 3, 2 & newborn

well i don't even know when to start toliet training if u could give me a hint then it would be really great.
um, it depends on the child, and I think it's hard to know when that is (for your first one at least). The so-called experts say anytime after 18 months, but most mothers will say after 2, and summer is easier cos you can let them run around in nothing or just knickers.

I've just started #2, she's 26 months.

Hi, I'm all set to start tomorrow ... I have a padded toilet seat, some cool new undies, a reward chart and some much needed patience! My daughter turned 2 in October and has had a few successes on the toilet, but tomorrow I'm going to dedicate my whole day to toilet training and helping her "get it".

So I think this is a great idea to go it together coming up to summer, and I'm sure I'll be posting back here tomorrow night telling you all about it (all good hopefully).

Good luck everyone!
JaidasMum24

Jaida (6), Ameli (2) & Lacey (2mths) - SA

Welcome aboard!
lol, you forgot your other important tool - the bucket and mop! ooh, and the nappy bucket and some nappy san... I had 2 poos in knickers today.
sad

wees in toilet: 5
wees in knickers: 3
(plus one on the floor at the shops when daddy was supervising! oops LOL he ran out in fright/embarrassment)
mum's tantrums: 2
change of clothes: 3

I thought it was a good day!

Iam going to start Taneesha when it starts to get alittle warmer as i have also been told summer is the best time, My health nurse told me not to bother untill she is 2 (this was at my 18 mth appointment) Then the very next day Taneesha went and got her potty herself and i sat her on it and she done wees in it, then she did some the next day but has shown no intrest in it since, i have nickers for her, and have had them on her on warm days but i think she tends to hold it in untill i put a nappy back on her, so i take it she still isnt quite readdy but i will try again shortley and see how she goes then oh by the way she is now 21 mths almost 22 mths old

Ann - Mummy To Taneesha, Jesse & Hallie

I think it's a good sign that she can hold it in, that shows she has some awareness.

It's cold and rainy here today. We've been through 2 pairs of leggings already sad

Isnt it bad for her though if she holds it in?
thats what i always thought and i think i was told this aswell

Ann - Mummy To Taneesha, Jesse & Hallie

This is a fantastic idea!
My son Zack decided when my newborn was 3 weeks old he was "ready" I was happy to leave it till summer but i didnt want to hold him back so we persevered. 8 weeks on and it has been a really interesting journey. We started with the potty in the lounge room. i found this great for the first week or two as its instantanious-when they need to go its NOW not in a minuet when we can get to them its NOW MUMMY!!(and i would be feeding when he needed to go-everytime!)
Over the next few weeks we had many accidents. Often he would do a little bit of wee then realise then run off to the loo. We used a rewards system that fed to his needs. He loves to jump run and make a lot of noise. So in that first few weeks we had party everytime we had a success. we ran around screaming banging pots and pans cuddles and a choccy treat. when they know that its great fun when you do it in the right place they will be far more determined.
When we leave him somewhere he often gets distracted and forgets to go till the las minuet which often means an accitdent so thats when we pull out the pull ups. However a few weeks back at church my husband forgot to put the pull ups on and we had an accitdent out in Sunday school in front of everyone. At the time i didnt notice it but this must of affected him asomehow as for the next week and a half we had accitdent after accident. I became very frustrated as i knew he could have a 95% success(just had to break for wees!!)
but perseverance has seen us back to mostly 'gettig it'!
I also used it to teach him his colours and counting. I got a packet of smarties and asked him to get a 'blue chocolate' or a 'yellow' one. other times he could have as many as he could count to. You'll be surprised how high they will learn to count if it means more chocolate!!!
Good luck, ill have to keep reading to see how your all doing. I think were going to still take a while before we become a pro!

Kathryn - Zack-4, Toby-2 & Molly 1

Well ... yesterday was day 1 and overall I think it went pretty well. She did her first 2 wees for the day in her nickers and all wees after that (4) were in the toilet, YAY FOR JAIDA! (ohh, we also had a poo in the nickers). One thing I'm not sure on, is because we've decided to go cold turkey on the nappies ... what's your thoughts on bedtime? We didnt put a nappy on for bed last night as I thought it may confuse her, and as I suspected ... this morning we have a wet bed (luckily she has a mattress with a plastic side). Do you think we should just persist with changing the sheets every morning and hopefully she'll soon learn to hold it in, or should we continue to put nappies on for bedtime?

Well, I better go and prepare myself for day 2 ....
JaidasMum24

how do you do it my girls are 9 months and 26 months

gail SA 4 girls 17months apart 1 set twins

Hi again, just thought i'd fill you in on our progress. Since starting 3 days ago, Jaidas only had the 2 accidents on day 1 .. and everything since then has been on the toilet, yaaay! She's even started telling me when she needs to do a wee which is great. I was having a bit of trouble getting her to do number 2's in the toilet, but today we had success!! I've decided to give pull-ups a go for bed time as she seemed abit stressed about going to sleep with no nappy and we were having to put up with about 2 hrs of constant crying ... so toinght we gave the "special bed time undies" a go, and she was asleep within minutes, phhew.

So all in all, I've been so surprised at how easily she's taken to it and I'm really proud of her for doing so well!

I'll keep you posted .....
JaidasMum24

Sign in to follow this topic