Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toilet Training
  5. TRAINING A 17MTH OLD HOW DO U START??

TRAINING A 17MTH OLD HOW DO U START?? Lock Rss

Hi there,
our almost 18mth old little girl,has been showing signs for months(well i think they r signs!)
When she either wees or esp poos she tugs on her nappies and if we dont get to her quick enough she pulls her nappy off.
When she walks into the toilet she says wee wee.and she sometimes pees as soon as we take her nappy off..
So i am guessing these are all signs that shes ready??Its just that i dont really want to push her if shes not ready.
We have bought her a potty,its just a matter of knowing how to train her now?!
So do we put her on the potty after she eats??And are we to take her potty everywhere we go now,as will she get mixed messages if we r out and she doesnt have her potty??And is she soppose to be in those pull up nappies at all times when training?(im guessing maybe yes as it would be easier)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated....
thank u bec.........

Bec,VIC,MIKI 16/7/05 JELLYBEAN EDD 24/8/07

Hi Bec,

My DD turns 2 next week and still is not showing these signs, so i would give it a go if i were you.
Elizas day care gave out a sheet with info on toilet training so here goes...

Buy little undies (preferably of a character she likes, or maybe those terrytowelling traning pants) not nappys cos they need to feel wet to understand.

Start from as soon as she wakes up, the first adult she sees should take her to the toilet then put her undies on.

Then keep an eye on the time and take her to the toilet every hour on the hour (plus whenever she asks).

Have a book or some other encouragement to keep her on the toilet for a few minutes if she doesnt go straight away.

If she is still going to wear a nappy to bed dont put it on until right before she gets into bed.

Good luck, let me know how you go, i will be there myself in a few months.

Oh and also toilet training is hard work so you should spend the money you save on nappies on yourself... HEY THATS WHAT THE EXPERTS SAY!!!

Let me know how you go as

Leanne, Eliza Jade 17/1/05

Bec,
I would give it a try, you will soon know if she really is ready or not. I would try only for a few days & if things are going well carry on, if not wait a while, she is still very young.

I tt'd my dd successfully at 21mths & one of my first concerns was going out & giving mixed messages, which is why I never used pull ups. There are posts on here about going out that have some good tips. I put dd straight into undies.

Put her on the potty about 15mins after she eats & if nothing try again 15mins/30mins.

Good luck!
My daughter is 19 1/2 months old and I started potty training her when she was bout 16 months old but not always and didnt do it seriously til she was 17 months old and I know with Jaye I put her on the potty soon as she wakes up and she sits there for about 5 minutes than a wee cames and I put Jaye on the potty every 30 minutes so I could know when she needed to go but now I put her on the potty about every hour cause thats how Jaye's body works.

But sometimes we do miss the wee or poo but Jaye always tells us when she do them. I dont take Jaye potty with us but I take Jaye to the toliet on every hour just like home and when we go out I have pull-ups on her so its easy to get them off her and at home most of the time Jaye is naked or has cotton pull-ups.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Sign in to follow this topic