Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Separation Anxiety Lock Rss

HI,

My son Michael is 23 months. For the last month when I go to put him to bed at night he cries everytime I leave the room. If dad goes in the room all he does is call out for mum.

Lately it has been getting worse. Do they suffer separation anxiety at this age? Has anyone gone through the same experience?

Any advice would be great.

P.S. I have let him cry etc etc, to no avail.

Thanks,

MaryB

Michael, Vic, Born 11-12-03

Seperation anxiety I believe starts much earlier than this so it could be what you are dealing with - also could be testing to see what he can get away with. Emily started this around 18 months - absolutely refused to have anyone but me in the room when she went to sleep and when she woke at night, Daddy would go in (because he was always up anyway) and she would scream the house down so I would have to get up and cuddle her and then sit on the floor until she went to sleep. Letting Emily cry has never worked - even Mum has tried it but she gets too worked up and can't calm down, so I still get up to her whenever she wakes(max twice a night) and I put her to bed at night. It is up to you to decide whether you feel alright to let it continue or not - I decided just to go with the flow because she would get too worked up and would take hours to get to sleep but now she (usually) falls asleep within 15 minutes of going to bed and only takes 2 minutes to settle at night and is sometimes sleeping through too(very rare for Emily). The plan is to try moving slowly (lay down for a week, sit down for a week then gradually head for the door) until she gets the hang of going to sleep alone but we haven't got this far yet. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Charlotte mum to Emily 27-08-03 & Lily 21-09-06

Sign in to follow this topic