Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. How long does it take your toddler to fall asleep?

How long does it take your toddler to fall asleep? Lock Rss

My DS is taking longer and longer to fall asleep every day!!! He used to fall asleep within a few minutes but the last few weeks he has taken up to an hour for his day sleep, and an hour & a half at night time.
He was having a 2 1/2 - 3 hour day sleep and 12 hours at night, now he is having max 2 hours (today only 1 hour) day sleeps and still spending 12 hours overnight in bed, but only actually getting 10 1/2 hours sleep...
He is coming up 19 months... How long does it take others to fall asleep - and how much sleep are they getting in total?

Suz, NSW

Hi I saw you posted to my reply so I'm here to sympathise. Harrison takes anywhere from 10 mins to 1/2 hr during the day and around 1/2 to 45 mins at night. He sleeps anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2hrs in the day and around 10 1/2 to 11 hrs at night. He is 19 1/2 mths and has been doing this for at least 2 mths. I don't know how to make him go to sleep any earlier of quicker but I definitely sympathise!!

We are in exactly the same boat. Our son is almost 19 mths. Until the last 2 weeks he too fell almost immediately asleep once put in his cot ( for both evening and day nap). Now we have at least 30-60 mins of faffing around prior to him actually conking out. We've tried putting him to bed later but this made no difference. I chatted with another friend who has a 2.5 yr old. She is put to bed at 7.30 each night and sometimes stays awake til 9pm playing in her cot.

Once asleep he remains so until anwhere between 6.30-7.30. During the day he naps from 1.5 to 2.5 hrs.

We used to follow the whole Tizzy Hall catch the 7 oclock sleep train. But it doesnt stop at our station anymore!

We've decided to persist with a 7.30 bedtime and if he wants to play in his cot before bed so be it. He doesnt sound distressed at all, just larking about.

Good luck.
Let us know if you find the answer!

Narelle, Melbourne, 4 yr old and 18mth old boys

Sign in to follow this topic