Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 27month old won't stay in bed

27month old won't stay in bed Lock Rss

Hi all,
DH & I are going nuts with DS#1 who we put to bed at 7.30, and he gets up constantly for anywhere up to 1.5 hours. We are exhausted by the time he finally goes to sleep, and just want him to stay in bed and go to sleep. He's definately tired, so that's not the problem.
We have #2 due to arrive in 3 weeks, so would like to get this sorted asap.
I'm thinking of a gate across his doorway to stop him getting out of his room. I have read books that say to hold the door closed etc, but I find that would freak him out and make things worse.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

we lock eli in his room, well not lock him in. but he cannot open the door. it works for us....were just having trouble with his sleeping atm as we got rid of the dummy on sunday.

your son may cry for a little bit, but he will get used to it.
my DS did this a few months ago and we put a baby gate across (the door handles were too low so couldnt lock him in!!). it took a few weeks but he finally got the message to stay in bed!! my DS is 27 months also, and has dropped his day sleep (which makes for a long day but an early night!!). his current phase is waking between 5-5.30am (which he did before we dropped day sleep as well, so he would be up to 8.30 and still wake early. at least now he gets more sleep by going to bed just before 7pm). can't figure them out!! i also have number 2 due in 3 weeks! good luck!

Well I went and got a gate today, and tonight is the first night. He's tried to figure it out already, and lost his dummy thru the gate. So have gone in once to calm him down and resettle. Fingers crossed the message has got through.

Good luck with #2 Denae... I'm sure I'll run into you again in the newborn section complaining of lack of sleep and how to cope with #2 dealing with #1.... LOL.

Hi Zacks Mum,

I posted this a few weeks ago and this is what wored for us. I am now at the stage of just reading to Bella, tucking her into bed, saying good night and leaving the room.

I have been having so many sleepless nights in the past 6 weeks due to Bella (21mths) not wanting to stay in her single bed without screaming the house down, crying for hours or needing dad or I to sit with her until she has gone to sleep, up to 2 hours and 4-5 times a night! I needed her to sleep in her bed as I am pregnant and due in August.

Anyway, after lots of reading other posts, and ideas, we have finally got Bella to go to sleep in about 5 minutes and only waking 1-2 times a night. So I thought I would share or experience with those who are in the same boat as us.

We have a very strict bed time routine. After a bath/shower, Bella can do what ever she wants proving it is a quite activity. Her bed time is 6:30pm so at about 6:20, we tell her that she will be going to brush her teeth and bed in 10 minutes. When we get her teeth clean, we go to her bedroom, and ask her to choose any one book to read in bed with mum or dad, and we sit on her bed quitely and read her the story. When the story is finished, we put the book back and tell he it is time for bed (she sometimes tries for 2 books, but we said one so we stick to it). We put her in bed, tuck in the blankets with her 'sleeping buddies', say thank you for a great day and what fun we have had, I love you and now itis time for Bella to go to sleep, and then turn the lights out. When we began this, we sat on the end of her bed, not touching her and just 'shhh it's time for sleep' whenever she asked for mum/dad. We did this for 2 nights, then stood at the end of her bed, and gradually moved closer to the door as the night went on. We now stand on the other side of the door and just listen, when/if she calls for us we just 'shhh' and she gets the message.

If she wakes during the night, we don't say anything to her or pick her up. We just hold her hand, she climbs back onto her bed and we 'shhh' while we tuck her back in and might say 'it's time for Bella to go to sleep' very quietly. We still do this at 5am, from about 6:30, she can come into bed with us for a cuddle as the alarm goes off soon anyway.

We always left the room completly before she actually went to sleep so that she learnt to go to sleep without us being there.did this during the day. I also Even though she still wakes, it is getting better. I also found keeping a sleep diary helped; when she went to sleep, what I did and how long it took. I found this a great help especially on the days when I thought I was going backwards.

I hope this helps. It has been really hard, and sleep deprivation is horrible. I was so tired every cell in my body hurt, and I was loosing the ability to look after myself, let alone Bella- all I wanted to do was sleep.

Find something that works for you and stick with it. I have found that all it takes in repition and not letting them win.

Good luck. If anyone has any other questions, please feel free to PM me.

ok here is my story,, ill try to keep it as short as possible!
i was having a bad day at work, and asked a girl i work with what she done when her kid was not going to bed properly, she said hmm he sleeps with us and he is 3 1/2! I got home from work, stressed, decided that wasnt going to be me and put my daugter to bed, and urgh,, SHUT THE DOOR, it broke my heart.. i was the same, thought she would freak out and i wouldnt be able to handle it and all that. anyways, she screamed for about 15 mins she went to sleep on the shelf on the change table,, hehe i went in, put her to bed,,she woke up,, screamed for 10 mins, went to sleep under change table,, waited extra 1o mins, went in, put her to bed,, BEEN EXCELLENT SINCE!
sooo glad i bit the bullet and just shut the door, she asks for it to be shut now!
but yeah, just keep doing it and doing it and they get used to it!
Thanks for your ideas everyone. The gate is the best money we spent. I couldn't face shutting the door completely, and the gate was the only other alternative. He only gets out of bed once after we put him into bed, but other than that, he's straight to sleep. It's still early days, but I think we've cracked it. We take it off once he falls asleep so he can get up in the morning, and if he calls out during the night I can go to him without tripping over in my very pregnant state.

Good luck everyone.

Sign in to follow this topic