Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Does anyone sit with their child and NOT mind?

Does anyone sit with their child and NOT mind? Lock Rss

I sit with my son while he falls asleep every night. It usually takes about 30 mins and I read a book. When I tell people that this is what I do they offer me advice on how to get him to go to sleep alone. BUt I really don't mind. He's not going to want me to sit by his bed forever and it's not that hard. Is anyone else like me?

i sit with DS1 when he is sick. but other than that he seems to prefer to go to sleep alone!
but with all parenting choices, if it works for you stuff everyone else!! i have a friend who still pats her 2.5 year old to sleep, but it works for them, so it doesn't bother me. like you said, he will outgrow it when he is ready, and until then it is your special time together.
i am sure there are many people out there who are happy to sit/rock/pat/feed their children to sleep. and if it makes you and your bub happy then that is all that matters.

As Danae said, if it works and you're happy doing it, then do it. It's no-one else's business what you do anyway. I used to rock or feed my DD to sleep every night and every day sleep and absolutely everyone I told would tell me how bad it is, how I'll be still rocking her when she goes to school, etc but she just decided she didn't want/need it anymore so I taught her to fall asleep on her own. I would be happy to still be doing it now if she wanted. So you do whatever works and makes for a happy household smile

Hi,

At the moment I sit with my 15month old little one to get her to sleep for her 2 day sleeps and at night. But it only takes a few minutes each sleep. She used to go to sleep by herself in the cot, but after lots of disruption and travelling, she prefers now to have a cuddle.

Like most things I think they go through phases, and if she doesn't grow out of needing a cuddle to go to sleep and it isn't working for the family any more I will cross that bridge then, but for now I am just enjoying the cuddles while I can get them, as they won't want Mum like that forever (unfortunately).
Thanks for that ladies. That was my way of thinking. I do see it as a special time and like buggiesmum said, they're not going to want Mama like that forever, so I'm making the most of it. Really what's 30mins out of 24hrs.

Thanks for that ladies. That was my way of thinking. I do see it as a special time and like buggiesmum said, they're not going to want Mama like that forever, so I'm making the most of it. Really what's 30mins out of 24hrs.

My DD is just over 2 and we snuggle up together in my bed and watch a kids show (her choice) on telly, the moment the show is over it is 'lights out' and the telly goes off. She rolls over and goes to sleep. I lie there next to her until she is sound asleep (normally 10-15 mins), then pick her up and take her to her own bed. I've always enjoyed the quiet time together at the end of the day (it is only recently that the telly has been an addition to the routine). I look forward to the bedtime snuggles and will keep doing so until she decides she doesn't want me there any more.
Cass.
I still hang around till my 23mth old goes to sleep. Hes still in a cot so I put my hand on his arm most of the time he will fall asleep, but sometimes he asks for a cuggle, we cuddle for a few minutes and then he says bed, so I lay him back down, like someone else said whats 30mins out of a 24 hour day. We are able to just walk out if we want, but I choose to stay, watching him drift off to sleep is so nice, then I give him a kiss and walk out.

Hes a really good boy and I love this quiet time together.

I have a 2 year old now!!

It's lovely to see so many other mums in this situation - I've tried the controlled crying thing a couple of times as I felt pressured by other mums to do so & both Isabelle & I absolutely hate it. She usually settles well if I stay in the room. Now to get her to stay in her own bed during the night...!
I also sit with my 13 month old, we are about to start reading with him. We tried CC 3 times, the first time we went for 2 weeks of him crying at least for 2 hours each night so we gave up the second time we went for a week of the same thing before i got the shits and decided i couldnt listen to him no more, and finally we went 2 days until he physically made himself sick. I dont listen to those who tell me i should let him fall asleep on his own, we tried and it didnt work for us, not every child is the same. we have a perfect routine as it is, and at the end of the day i would rather him fall asleep with a smile, not crying.
So it is whatever makes both of you happy i think

at the end of the day i would rather him fall asleep with a smile, not crying.

That's exactly what I think! I'm so glad I started this post! It's so good to see other mums are like me. We were the same, months and months of stressful nights trying to get him to fall asleep by himself and then we finally gave in and it was the best thing we ever did! THings are stress free at our house! smile

Hi .. I have a 13month old who wont go to bed unless he's alseep so I rock him and cuddle him every night and so many people tell me that's crazy and that I should be doing CC .. I tried it and he screamed for 2hrs and made him self so worked up ..

so i'm with the if it works for you stay with what your doing ..
I remember my dad all ways read to me at night and i'm 28 and hold that memorie so there you go it's a good thing .

Kylie

Sign in to follow this topic