Nappy Pants

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. No more day time sleep??

No more day time sleep?? Lock Rss

My two year old has decided she no longer needs a sleep during the day, the problem is her grumpy mood later on tells me otherwise?
I have tried wearing her out, routine, even a bottle of milk, none of the old tricks seem to work.

I could sort of handle no more sleep if she genuinely doesn't need it but I have a 4 1/2 month old so I kind of need the rest time and struggle with settling him for his sleeps when she's being grumpy and demanding because she's tired.

Anyone else going through this? Any advice or sympathy would be great!!!
Hi, I have a 2 1/2 yr old girl and an 8mnth old girl. I know how frustrating and tiring it can be trying to get them both to bed in order to get some rest ("Me time"). My eldest has decided on and off for a few months not to have her daytime nap anymore. Some days I'm fortunate that she does have a nap, and usually without argument (but that is rare). For the days that she won't sleep, I will sit and read with her for a little while, but then set her up on her fold-out couch, give her some water, some books and tell her it's "quiet time now". On other days I may put on a short video for her to watch - just so I can get a few minutes to myself. It is a bit tricky at times to get the youngest to settle without being disturbed by the eldest, but we usually get there! Hope this is of some use to you.

Debbie, QLD, gorgeous daughter

Hi,

My son was 2 when he decided that he didn't want any more daytime sleeps. I too found that he was very grumpy by mid afternoon because he was so tired but didn't want to sleep. As he got older (he's now 2.5 years old) he is much better at staying happily awake until bedtime. What i did, was just vary his daytime routine a bit, but letting him play as much as possible on his own in the morning and go out if I needed to the shops about lunchtime, most of the time he would end up sleeping in his stoller - even if it's just half an hour, then we would head on home approx 2.30-3pm. This worked really well during that transition time from daytime sleep to no daytime sleep. He now is much better dealing with no daytime sleep. He is in bed by 7.15pm and normally wakes up anywhere between 6.30am - 7am. This worked for me as he's my only child, it may be a bit difficult for you if you have another child to look after.

Mum to Bub

Sign in to follow this topic