Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. BABYS DO suffer AND ARE UNSETTLED while teething.... even though professionals may disagree!!!!

BABYS DO suffer AND ARE UNSETTLED while teething.... even though professionals may disagree!!!! Lock Rss

Hey Ladies,

i dont know how many of you would agree (even though many professionals opinions may differ) my daughter is now 21 months old, and everytime a new tooth is about to break through (especially the molars!) she is irritable, cranky and unhappy; therefore leading to broken sleep etc. I do love baby books Baby love and Tizzie hall books but each say that teething is a made up claim- I really disagree!!!!
hi...
Funny you should post about this subject bcause I was discussing it the other day with my mum. My daughter is a shocking sleeper and it all started when she started teething. Though the docs and so forth that I have spoken to have only said that they feel "some" or "a little" discomfort and that it shouldn't affect their sleep. Though when you talk to other mothers the stories are vastly different. Interesting hey?
Totally agree with you Kristen - I too have the Baby Love book and was disappointed in her comments about teething!
How can something that tears through your gum not be painful and not affect you in anyway! - and of course it is worse with babies/toddlers because they can't explain what is happening!
Anyone who has had their wisdom teeth come through as an adult knows how uncomfortable that is so don't tell me it doesn't upset babies or make them uncomfortable!
(I too have had a tough time with DD ever since her teeth have come throughh!)
Posted by: Kristen I
Hey Ladies,

i dont know how many of you would agree (even though many professionals opinions may differ) my daughter is now 21 months old, and everytime a new tooth is about to break through (especially the molars!) she is irritable, cranky and unhappy; therefore leading to broken sleep etc. I do love baby books Baby love and Tizzie hall books but each say that teething is a made up claim- I really disagree!!!!

I agree! It has not happened with every tooth he has cut, but his bottom teeth were the worst, especially the molars!!!

Oh and I have to say, that when my DS cut his bottom molars, he got the WORST runny poops I have EVER EVER seen! They were quite stinky too LOL. He also got bad nappy rash sad.

They are wrong if they say that they don't suffer when the tooth is cutting thru, cause it does hurt (remember getting wisdom teeth). There is however research to suggest that so called associated 'signs' of teething, excess drool, chewing, runny nose, loose poo, red cheeks etc etc are not because of teeth, they are because of viruses or are normal developmental tasks! My now 19 month old son statred exhibiting so called signs of 'teething' at 4 months, but didn't cut his first tooth until nrly 15months and he had ALL the symptoms i've ever heard of between 4 and 14 months and nothing at all the night he got the tooth! (except a bit grumpier than normal!)

I totally agree. When my 18 month old is teething especially molars she gets a temp, pains in the belly, runny poos, is really cranky & her reflux plays up really bad.
And i can tell when she is in pain cos she pulls at her teeth and bites the insides of her cheeks & gets really frustrated. But then on the other hand there are the people who don't even know that their bub is teething until the tooth pops up....i wish!

My now 17mth old son was an awesome sleeper until 17wks of age when he cut his first tooth!!! Once he started teething he got ear infection after ear infection it was crazy he was antibiotics every couple of weeks! I eventually saw an ENT and he put grommets 2 days after he turned one and he told me that he'll keep getting ear infections while he's teething if he doesn't have grommets! Well my son hasn't had any ear infectons (yay) but he does suffer terribly with teething. I think he get's every "symptom" of teething except for red cheeks! But he's finally just cut his last tooth so no more teeth until the 2 year old molars come through! Sometimes I don't think that the "experts" are really experts at all!!!
I absolutely agree. My DD is 13 months old andhas cut 4 teeth in 1.5 weeks, as well as getting tonsilitis - she has been a nightmare!!
I hope things settle as she is now on antibiotics but when she is teething she can wake screaming in the night, its awful.
I totally agree with you two, my DS 13 months is a nightmear when he cuts teeth cause it hurts him! Hard for him to get to sleep and goes off his food and bottles. Funny a, because it only happens when he is teething. smile
I totally agree also!

smile Ahh I'm not alone,lol. My daughter is 27months now and has suffered alot with her teeth. I'm so thankful that she has just gotten her LAST molar! She'd get the ruuny poops or be constipated and even get high temps. My doc's said it shouldn't cause these symptoms and I started believing them. But reading back over her baby book this was how she was everytime a tooth broke?? It definately effects sleep too. We all know what it's like. Tooth ache is always it's worst at night whilst your sleeping...

Sign in to follow this topic