for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. will not give up her dummy

will not give up her dummy Lock Rss

I have a little girl who is almost three and a half who has to sleep with her dummy and big dog( her favourite stuffed toy) i dont mind big dog but I can not get rid of the dummy.If i dont give her the dummmy she stands there screaming NO DUMMY NO SLEEP! I have a 6 month old who is hard to settle so it has always been a matter of whatever keeps you quite! Plus she has had the dummy since she was a baby so it is her comforter! I have tried taken it of her I have tried telling her its broken and its in the bin I am at a loss to no what to do I am starting to worry that it is interfering with her speech my husband keeps saying that if I dont tell people she has it they would never know as she only has it to sleep with but as I said I have concerns that her speech is being interfered with due to it any help or ideas I would love.

melissa,NSW,mum of almost 5 year old and a 2 year

Hi there I totaly feel for your problem. I have only just taken my sons dummy away from him, he is 2.5. Like your daughter he really loved his dummy. The only way I could do was just not let him have it anymore, it took probably 2 nights before he stoped wanting it. Lots of screaming and throwing himself on the floor, but I didn't give in now he doesn't even ask for it. This way might work for you. Good luck

Teena QLD Cody 2 & Nadia 13 yr old

melissa,
we just got my 2.5 yr old to throw his dummy away and also told him that the easter bunny comes to kids who dont have a dummy(sounds cruel .. i know) but i had to get it off him .I was sick of the old people comment like what r u doing with that in your mouth. I would say to them if he wants is then i am not stopping him at all.
but yesterday he broke it and said fix mummy .and i told him i couldnt fix it and he went and threw it into the bin .I got it out later and washed it just incase i had problems with him ,but he had a day sleep without it ,then at night he asked for it and i said no more dummy and he went to bed no problems.

Maybe in your situation i did this with my other kids ,put the older one to bed fist then wait for them to stop screaming then settle the youngest one.
niccii

5 kids now

Sign in to follow this topic