Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Preparing to get rid of Dummy - Cold Turkey!

Preparing to get rid of Dummy - Cold Turkey! Lock Rss

Hi,

We have a 26 month old toddler who sleeps with a dummy and have decided that it's time to get rid of it. Up until now it hasn't been a problem as it's only for sleeping but over the last couple of months she's been asking for it more and more during the day and chucks a wobbly when we say no.

So far our plan is to go cold turkey next weekend (Easter Weekend) as both hubby and I will be home for the whole 4 days and nights.

I would love to hear from anyone who has tried getting rid of the dummy this way and was successful. I'm not sure how to approach it on the first day and what I should tell her to prepare her for it.

Thanks
Bri

Mum to (Olivia 3 Feb 2004) & (Emily 26 Jan 2006)

hi bri,
we got rid of the dummy with our daughter when she was 26 months too. Fortunantely we had no problems as we had gone away for the day and I told her that i had forgotten to bring it, she was a little upset, and then every time she asked for it I told her that I needed to get some new ones from the shop, I persisted with this for a few weeks and she eventually forgot about it. She had a dummy from 1 week old and sleeped with it and was very dependent on it. I guess i was lucky. My sister had problems with her daughter and has only just managed to get rid of it , she went cold turkey!!!
Don't feel to bad if it does'nt work, eventually she will see she is too big for it herself, after all she is still only little. Good luck...

pam,nsw, 13 months and 4 yo

Friends of mine took their child to the toyshop and had their daughter trade their dummy for a new toy to sleep with. She was told if she wanted to have the toy she had to give the salesperson her dummy. She did and was happy as she had a new comfort toy. I left mine until they were a little older. They were really dependant on it (they only had it for sleeps) so we decided to wait for Christmas and left it out with cookies and milk for Santa. The kids didn't want to give it up but the lure of presents was too much so they left it out hesitantly. To this day they still talk about Santa taking the dummies for the baby reindeers. Good luck.
hi there, i told my two year old that the fairies took it to give it to a baby who needed it because she was a big girl now, not a baby any more. she wanted to look for it, so i let her. she soon realised it really was gone and accepted comfort through a 5 minute pat before going to sleep. she also has a stuffed toy to sleep with for comfort.

karen, mama of 2, qld

Hi Bri, just wondering how you went with getting rid of the dummy over the weekend? Mydaughter is 21 months old and is very reliant on hers but I would desparately love for her to give it up.

Nicole NT

Bri,
how are you?
mate i was just wondering if it worked going cold turkey as i have 28 month old that i am trying to get her dummie off her at night time.

thanks.
wendy

wendy >TAS, 1year old and 2.5 year old

Sign in to follow this topic