Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Waking up unhappy Rss

My 20 month old son is waking from his afternoon nap crying and takes up to 30 minutes to calm down, this has been happening for a while (he sleeps from 1hr to 2hrs). He is also being very unhappy in mornings as well. We have a 10 week old as well who is waking in the night, but his brother isn't showing any signs of waking at night, so I don't think it's lack of sleep at night. Any ideas as to what is causing this? Is it something everyone goes through, and if so how long does it last?

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

Hi,
Depending on how much sleep she has had, Sophie does the exact same thing. I just put it down too...she woke too early from her nap (or something woke her) and she's just not happy about it! (and too worked up to go back to sleep) A good nap for her is 2 hours, but if it's less than an hour and a half or so, she will wake crying. Sometimes after getting her out of the cot hysterical, she will go back to sleep on my knee on the lounge for another 30 mins or so. Sorry I havent been much help, but you are not the only one in the same boat!

Sophie and Daniel's Mum - Tassie

Hiya,

My 3 year old still does this some of the time, and i also put it down to waking up too early. If it is in the morning, i just tell her to go back to sleep, but during the day it doesn't work that easy. We just have lots of cuddles while she wakes up!!

No help either, but you're not alone,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Thanks for letting me know I am not alone. I am expecting things will be easier in the summer as I can take him outside, turn on the hose and let him play in the paddling pool (this usually gets him back into a good mood). I have with some experimenting found one thing that sometimes helps - afternoon tea including milk and water waiting for him on the coffee table when he gets up. It doesn't always work, but does often enough to keep me trying it.
We used the paddling pool thing today as it was relatively warm outside and he needed a nappy change, so I could combine it with nappy free time. Worked a treat.

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

hello
i dont really know why they wake up sad, but when tasmin wakes up sad, i always have something different in my hands or walk in her room different eg. ill crawl in, the one i like the best is walk in laughing! she has a lot of trouble staying upset for long when im in there dancing around with her toys!

catherine mum to tasmin and Liam

Sign in to follow this topic