Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Pillows Rss

Hi all,

My DS is 12mths old is currently in a cot, however in a few months I will move him to a new room and a 'big' bed so I can make way for a new baby. I'm worried about him crawling up the bed in his sleep (which he does atm) and hitting the wall. I was going to use those side barracades to stop him rolling out as well.

I wanted to know when is it safe to introduce a pillow? When have you introduced pillows and how did you go about doing it? Any other tips for introducing bub to a full sized bed?

Thanks for your input.
I've been wondering the same thing... I will need to move DD to a bed towards the end of the year to make way for bub and I am not sure when we can introduce a pillow. DD moves around the cot aswell.

I know from friends when moving to beds that the pillow helped keep bub in 1 position in the bed.
Hey smile

I probably wouldn't do the bed & the room at the same time - I think it's too big a change, though I'm sure others might just say to go it straight away & get it over & done with. We still have DS in the nursery, just in his bed (his cot turns into a toddler bed - with just the one rail to stop him falling out). We just changed it one night & never said anything about it to him & have never had a problem. He's only climbed out twice maybe?? We'll be moving him to his big boy room when he turns 2 in July (we're buying him his bedroom for his birthday), but even then I might just let him play in the room for a week or two before I try & get him to sleep there. I'm a big believer in just giving them plenty of time to adjust.

As for the pillow, DS has had one from about 16months. His chiropractor did not recommend one before 2 actually, but I just made sure I got a flat one. If you start too early, it can cause some head & neck pain issues.

Both of mine have had a pillow by 18mths old, Ben we just decided to give it to him, and Erin, I wanted to prop her up just a little to try to stop her cough.

However I have heard of people not giving a pillow until going into a big bed.

As for going into a big bed, Ben was 2.5yrs old when he moved. We borrowed an extra cot so that he could stay until he was ready. He 'helped' build his recing car bed, and loved it from day 1. And my little miss will be in hers for a while yet, cos I'm not looking forward to moving her...lol.

Having said that, I have heard that when you put them into a big bed, put the cot mattress next to it to start, that way of they roll out, they are rolling onto the mattress instead of the hard floor.

They understand more than we give them credit for, so I'd start mow by telling him very simply about his new room and big boy bed. Even if you set it up now and let him be familiar with it. Other than that I'm not sure.

Good luck smile

Ben 25/10/06 + Erin 10/9/08

Hi. My DD is now 14months and I gave her a pillow a couple of weeks ago becuase I thought it might help her to sleep in one spot. It hasn't really worked but I figure that at least she will be used to it being in there. Originaly the pillow I had was too big and I don't think she found it very comfortable (it was a cheap one from a department store) but the other day I got one from a proper baby store and its much better and I think she likes it better.
i have heard that if in a cot, a child does not "need" a pillow until 2 years of age.
i had a bad sleeper so i introduced a pillow around 18 months in the hopes it would help with the sleep issues we were having, but unfortunately it made little difference.

Hi all,

My DS is 12mths old is currently in a cot, however in a few months I will move him to a new room and a 'big' bed so I can make way for a new baby. I'm worried about him crawling up the bed in his sleep (which he does atm) and hitting the wall. I was going to use those side barracades to stop him rolling out as well.

I wanted to know when is it safe to introduce a pillow? When have you introduced pillows and how did you go about doing it? Any other tips for introducing bub to a full sized bed?

Thanks for your input.

Hi There,

My partner's Mum created a sleeping product called the Sleepwrap by Safe T Sleep. It has shown great success in providing a better night sleep for the whole family and is perfect to help in the transition from a bassinet to a cot and from a cot to a single bed!
As we've got a product called the headwedge which is a triangle foam pillow.
Check out www.safesleepsolutions.com for further details.

Any questions, let us know =0)

All the best
hi

I have a 21 month old who is now in a big bed now cause i now have a new addition to the family. I can't tell you how nervous i was in doing the transition from cot to bed. What i did was have the big bed and cot in his room and he done his day sleep in big bed and night sleeps in cot. Every night i asked him which bed he wanted to sleep in until eventually it was always the big bed. And i only used a toddler pillow when he was in bed.

I gave my little boy a 'baby pillow' at 12 months and then a few months later upgraded to a 'toddler pillow'. He loves his pillow. Remember that at 12 months they are very strong so can push pillow off them if for some reason it ended up on face.

As far as transitioning your 12 month old to a bed - do you think this may be a little young? Being in a bed opens up a whole new can of worms and safety is of particular concern, for your toddler and new born if the toddler can get out of bed in the night. I am expecting another baby also (my son, will be 21 months when new baby born) but have decided to keep him in his cot until he has adjusted to a new baby in the house - most likely until 2 and half when he is more mature to understand the transition.

Saying that it is a personal decision and all kids are different - good luck!
Sign in to follow this topic