Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Converting Cot to a Bed

Converting Cot to a Bed Rss

Hi,
I am currently pregnant with our 2nd child, and we are wanting to start getting DD ready to move out of her cot. She is 14 months at the moment. We bought a 2nd hand cot, and we are not sure if it converts to a todddler bed.... how do you know?

Any other tips for how to keep her in the bed when we put her in there would be appreciated!

Vicki

Sleep experts reccomend children stay in their cots until 2.5 years . By this age they can understand that they need to stay in bed to sleep . If you have got the second cot just leave it as a cot . Thats what I would do , but do what you think is best smile
I would try google if you didnt get any instructions with it or maybe even a baby store. I know with ours it came with support rails for when the sides came off.
With DD we just put her straight into a big bed (was 16months) as we needed the cot for DS. We have had no problems with it at all and you can buy those side rails to go on the bed if you are worried. I didnt use them but rolled a blanket up like a sausage and put it under the fitted sheet, was enough to alert her that she was near the edge.

Hi,
I am currently pregnant with our 2nd child, and we are wanting to start getting DD ready to move out of her cot. She is 14 months at the moment. We bought a 2nd hand cot, and we are not sure if it converts to a todddler bed.... how do you know?

Any other tips for how to keep her in the bed when we put her in there would be appreciated!

Vicki

Yeah you would of got side rails with the bed. When you take the cot rail off ou need to replace the frame with another support and that is where the side rails come in.
Not all cots convert to a toddler bed. Our son is 19 months and has been in his toddler bed for 4 weeks now. And its not smooth sailing for us. He gets out of bed alot and we are currently teaching him to stay in bed.
Great thread. I was thinking about the same thing... We are pregnant with our 2nd and was wonderin what to do with our DD... She is currently 14 months and will be able 20ish months when bubba number 2 comes along.. We cant figure out weather to buy a single bet or keep her in the cot..... Grrr just so much to think about now we got another one on the way..
Will be checking in on this thread for ideas and help smile

Hi,

Vicki

Hi Vicki,

My partner's Mum created a sleeping product called the Sleepwrap by Safe T Sleep. It has shown great success in providing a better night sleep for the whole family and is perfect to help in the transition from a bassinet to a cot and from a cot to a single bed! Check out www.safesleepsolutions.com for further details.

Any questions, let us know =0)

All the best
Hi, I have a 26 month old and am expecting baby no#2 in the next couple of weeks. We bought the same cot for the new baby so they are the same and they both convert to a toddler bed. Although it scars me a bit to think if I converted the bed now what she would get up to while I'm sleeping. She is a bit adventurous and is very tall and can open doors etc. Not to mention going into the baby's room and trying to put dolly with baby or cover baby up with blanket like we do to her etc. For us she will stay in the cot until she starts to climb out of it.

Sign in to follow this topic