Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Pillows for toddlers Rss

The only pillows I could find in the local shops are called junior pillows, so I presumed that would be right for DS, when I got them it(300km) and got it out for him and lay him on it, it looks way to high for him, his neck is bent over iykwim. I presumed that toddler pillows were much flatter? can anyone help me pls?

I was always told that you never give a child a pillow until they ask for one....

this is what i was told from heaps of people with kids as children don't need pillows like adults do.

my three year old has a pillow on her bed but never ever actually uses it...

personally i wouldn't use one because they can put their heads under them and i have seen that happen before.
i just bought small pillows from the baby section in big w, they are smaller than a usual pillow and will fit in a cot sheet set pillow case. they are not filled much so when they lie on them it doesn't put their neck on a funny angle - it mostly just squashes down under the weight of their head. they are only about $6.

we started giving it to DS1 around 18 months when we were about to move him into his big bed and he was fine with it. at first he would throw it down the end of his bed but it wasn't long before he learnt to sleep on it. he hasn't ever put it over his head, but they are really thin pillows.

now he has a regular size pillow.

I got a "my first pillow" - it's a latex jobbie, quite small and flat, and cost me about $29 from memory....bit expensive but has lasted really well smile

The only pillows I could find in the local shops are called junior pillows, so I presumed that would be right for DS, when I got them it(300km) and got it out for him and lay him on it, it looks way to high for him, his neck is bent over iykwim. I presumed that toddler pillows were much flatter? can anyone help me pls?

If you have a sewing machine maybe you could open the pillow at one end and take some stuffing out and then sew it back up?

i just bought small pillows from the baby section in big w, they are smaller than a usual pillow and will fit in a cot sheet set pillow case. they are not filled much so when they lie on them it doesn't put their neck on a funny angle - it mostly just squashes down under the weight of their head. they are only about $6.

we started giving it to DS1 around 18 months when we were about to move him into his big bed and he was fine with it. at first he would throw it down the end of his bed but it wasn't long before he learnt to sleep on it. he hasn't ever put it over his head, but they are really thin pillows.

now he has a regular size pillow.

I got the same, I think from Kmart, about the same age too. Now at 3 she uses a normal pillow, but an old one of mine that has squashed down to quite thin, I just use a pillow protector for hygeine because it is old.
He has been putting his teddy under his head for sleep thats why I was looking into getting him a pillow, but I am not happy with the 1 I have, I took it off him as I think it is way too high. When I go to town in 2 wks will look in the baby section, see what I can find, thanks everyone

DS has had a pillow since 4 wks because he was a very spewwy baby when he was layed down so the dr said to get him a pillow it was an allergy free baby pillow so tiny. looks like a little doll pillow. but yeh you can get a few different size pillows for babies/toddlers.
I think its the tetra brand that is sold in big w in the nursery section, cot pillow i think its called? The one i bought is very flat, and was only something like $7

We also have a really thin toddler pillow that DD been using it since she was 20M old, she is 3 now and still use the same one. She also has a pillow book, which she normally read it before go to bed, she put it under her head sometimes, and it is a toodler pillow size and really soft. i think we got it either from target or toys R us, that was $29.95 from memory, a bit more expensive than other pillows, but it is a whole pillow size soft book, and the pillow itself quite a good quality - have not changed shape at all since we brought it about at least a year ago. Most important, she still love the story, our one was the wiggles telling twinkle star song. You can find other characters as well, i've seen Thomas, snow white, toy story and others. Hope this helps and good luck with your pillow hunting.
I got my DD a toddler pillow from Target, it cost $9.95, it is very flat. We put it at the end of her bed until she was ready to use it. She only started using it a couple of months ago.
Hi,
It's Jane here from the Expert panel. The usual recommendation is not to use a pillow until the child is in their own bed, after graduating from a cot. Then a soft, flat pillow is fine to use-an adult size is fine but you can buy child specific pillows. If his head is much higher than his shoulders this is too high, his neck needs to be pretty much in alignment with his shoulders to be comfortable. Too much of a rise will cause him discomfort.
Some kids don't even need pillows and are happy without. You are better doing this than using one which is too high.
Don't forget to replace his, as well as your own pillows every year at least. They are perfect for harbouring dust mites and allergens.
Cheers
Jane
Sign in to follow this topic