for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 18 month old day time naps

18 month old day time naps Rss

My DS is 18 months old and has only just gone from 2 naps to 1 nap a day. But this nap is only 1-1.5 hours long! He used to do two 1.5-2 hour naps and now I'm lucky if he does one 1.5 hour nap.

He generally wakes up 6.30-7am and needs to go back down around 10am (11am if I can stretch him out). Then he is awake from say 11.30/12 all the way to bed time. Needless to say, by 6pm he is kind of hyperactive from being over tired but he flat out refuses an afternoon nap now and is fast asleep by 6.30pm for a solid 12 hours.

Interested to know what other 18 month olds do. I thought dropping to one sleep he'd at least do around 2 hours??

Thanks!
Thanks for that! sounds very similar. No, DS is certainly not grumpy. He just starts to go a bit crazy come 5.30/6. haha.
My 16 month old has one nap a day and has done so for months. He goes down at 8pm, wakes at 9am, goes down at 12 and wakes at about 2. When he was having multiple day naps, he was sleeping for only a half hour or so each time. We're lucky, as when he is tired, he'll grab his bear and his dummy and walk himself to his room to wait for someone to lift him into the cot, so he really decides when he sleeps or not. We figured it must be that when he was having more naps, it was broken sleep which is worse.
Just because he's having less snooze time, the deep sleep (which is the important bit) might be longer in total, and better quality.
at this age they are reducing their sleep needs. my little boy only ever did 1.5 max but still only did the same night sleeps. i was told that it can take up to 4 weeks for day sleeps to get longer if they're going to. it's just an adjustment stage. he may never do longer...just his personal needs. you will start pushing him forward bit at a time till he's sleeping around 11.30-12 noon every day no matter what the wake up time is in the morning and after an outing to the park or a busy morning you'll probably find you may get a longer sleep occasionally or consistently but don't bank on it. make sure he's not going down too early and give him a good run to tire him out.

If you fancy a laugh, visit my blog which is basically a collection of observations and rantings about motherhood, people and the mundane. See www.callmepicky.blogspot.com.au

My 20 month old DS has only had a half hour sleep during the day since he was about 12 months old. If I'm really lucky he'll have 45 - 50 minutes. I've tried everything to get him to sleep longer, as I have a 6 month old also and it's made no difference. At least you're getting an hour each day. I'm just grateful he sleeps all night as a trade off.
DS1 is 19 months and he cut out his second sleep at around 13 months, I could fight with him over it and he just plain refused so I gave up. He usually wakes at 6.30ish and goes down for his nap between 1030-11am and sleeps for 2 hours and then goes down for the night between 630-7 and sleeps all night

Hi my 18mo DS went to 1 nap a couple months ago but it's been painful as he gets tired by 11:30ish or sometimes when we're out he'll fall asleep in the car on the way home. I think he needs at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours but sometimes he'll only have an hour, sometimes less which makes for an interesting afternoon. I wish he'd nap slightly later then I could nap too(I'm pregnant again) and he is hard to settle too sometimes even when he is super tired. But he does sleep all night 7:30pm to 6:30/7am

My almost 16 month old DD doesn't have day sleeps now unless we go in the car or a walk in the pram. She dropped down to 1 sleep at 12 months and since DS has been born, about 7 weeks, she only occasionally has a day sleep. DD generally sleeps from about 7pm-7am. She generally isn't that tired, but always tells us when she wants to go to bed. I think it really depends on the child!!
My almost 16 month old DD doesn't have day sleeps now unless we go in the car or a walk in the pram. She dropped down to 1 sleep at 12 months and since DS has been born, about 7 weeks, she only occasionally has a day sleep. DD generally sleeps from about 7pm-7am. She generally isn't that tired, but always tells us when she wants to go to bed. I think it really depends on the child!!
Mummy Mez, It's nice to know I'm not the only one with a almost non daytime sleeping toddler.
Sign in to follow this topic