Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 15mth old has never slept through

15mth old has never slept through Rss

Hi mums, I haven't had a full nights sleep in 17 months and it's doing my head in blink Our issues started when our DD went into her first hip brace for hip dysplasia and she was very uncomfortable and feeding her back to sleep was the only thing that worked. Fast forward a year and she's still yet to sleep through and I'm up bf'ing her atleast twice a night. She's incredibly strong willed and when I try to re-settle her in her cot without a feed she will scream hysterically and wake our DS up. I've just read a few things that say it's best not to go in and out of her room when re-settling as it sends them mixed signals but I also don't want to let her cry it out for hours. Help anyone and sorry for the small novel!

My two boys have slept through since around 10/11 months.

A few suggestions, try if you will...

Has she been rechecked for her hips... given the all clear - no risk of pain...??
Don't feed overnight, offer water. If someone was to offer you your fav drink every time you woke during the night, i know i'd wake just to have it.
Your DS will get used to the screaming if you do try the cry it out method, it will take 3 days tops! And she will be sleeping through.
Resettle once (make sure she's in a sleep sack - then doesnt matter if she isnt under the covers - she'll still be warm)
By all means respond to her crys but once you've gone in once tell her thats its sleep time and leave her too it. She may not understand your words but she will understand you tone.
If you think her teeth might be hurting bonjela, teething powder or pamol her, leave her to it.
Does she have a dummy or soft toy that helps her settle?

Some of these suggestions seem harsh, but will make life easier in the long run, remember youre not her friend, your her mum, let her know in the nicest possible way that youre in control and the boss.
Lottie

Hi mums, I haven't had a full nights sleep in 17 months and it's doing my head in blink Our issues started when our DD went into her first hip brace for hip dysplasia and she was very uncomfortable and feeding her back to sleep was the only thing that worked. Fast forward a year and she's still yet to sleep through and I'm up bf'ing her atleast twice a night. She's incredibly strong willed and when I try to re-settle her in her cot without a feed she will scream hysterically and wake our DS up. I've just read a few things that say it's best not to go in and out of her room when re-settling as it sends them mixed signals but I also don't want to let her cry it out for hours. Help anyone and sorry for the small novel!

I think its a matter of having to go through a few unsettled nights and letting her cry. At the moment she knows you'll give in pretty swiftly if she goes hysterical so its working for her. I dont think she'd cry for hours, it may be half an hour the first night but after a few nights things should turn around. When she wakes, go in and say its sleep time and leave. Let her cry at least 15 mins then go in again and say its time for sleep and leave.

Its not nice but neither is never getting a full nights sleep and I've found that at this age they respond to it very quickly, only takes 3 nights.
DD1 slept like an angel. DD2 was always a shocker at night - with no explanation.

As a newborn she would cry for 3 hrs after a night feed, finally go to sleep, and be due for another feed sad

By 3 months she wasn't crying for as long.

Have come to the conclusion its a personality thing - was always full, burped, changed etc - didnt help if we held her, rocked, patted etc, and always had a dummy and favourite toy. She has always been very happy during the day awake or asleep.

At 12mths we added a dull night light and quiet 'bedtime'music to the routine. she was still waking about 3 hrs after she went down and crying for up to 3hrs. One night I had had enough and told her to "be quiet, everyone is trying to sleep, Mummys going to bed, GOOD NIGHT!!"

She cried, but I left her - peeking in occasionally to check she was ok. It was hard to listen to, but seems to have worked. From then on she still woke but settled much quicker and easier.

At 22mths she still wakes most nights at about 10pm, but is asleep again within 15mins. She just isnt a good sleeper.

Would reccommend the dull night light (we use rechargeable ones from Kmart\woolies) as my baby always jumped up when her door opened and the light crept in and cried when she saw the door shut - lets you peek in without being as obvious.

Choose a weekend to try this so you have some back-up and perhaps send DS for a sleepover if possible so you only have one to deal with.
My DS is just about to turn 3 and I'm finally getting about 4 full nights sleep a week!!!
It makes it very hard and you don't know where to start.
I agree with Lottie an the water, but I personally couldn't do water straight away cause I needed my sleep too. So my suggestion is to give a bottle instead and I slowly was adding more and more water, I'm currently at 120 water 100 milk an he has stopped waking at night and asking for his bottle. I'm just about to up the water to 130ml cause he is still asking for it each night before bed, so I'm hoping this milk turning into water will get Boring before bed time too.
Good luck, I really hope it works.
i just read your post. My daughter is now 13 1/2 months and she was in a harness on the second day of being in this world for the same reason as yours. (horrible thing! I must say!) She would not sleep unless she was in my bed which I hated. It was a hospital midwife in the end that got her to sleep in her bed by placing a rolled up cloth nappy just tugged under her bottom so she was SIGHTLY on her side. So we continued that as it worked. She has only in the last month started sleeping through the night but its still not every night. She may do 2 nights of sleeping through then the next 2-3 nights she'll wake (and she won't go down again without having milk). I have tried so many things in the past to get her to sleep including letting her cry it out which didn't work. she will just work herself up so much, so I found it easier to feed her then she would be out to it. Getting up once I don't mind.... twice, I start to get grumpy and if she wakes 3 times (which she has a few times!) I get really grumpy smile

I'm not too sure if what I'm doing now is what is helping her sleep as she does still wake as i said above. I'm trying to give her more meals To full her up. Breakfast at 8am ish, morning tea about 9.30-10ish then lunch 11.15-11.30 then milk straight after lunch and straight into bed (by 12pm). She normally sleeps till about 2pm. snack when she gets up, afternoon tea about 3.30, dinner at 5pm. bedtime is 7-7.30. In her bedtime rountine we try to full her up a bit more by giving her yoghurt then milk straight after that then bed.

Plus I am currently weaning her too. for the last month or so we have been giving her formula for her last milk feed. OH and we tried offering water instead of milk in the night... it worked for the 1st 2 nights, then she would push it away and not take it as much as we tried. She sleeps with a cuddly and has a night light. I don't like to idea of night music as i believe that toys and music can silmulate them when they are meant to be sleeping.

Also make sure theres not too many or not enough blankets on the bed.
I hope this may help you!
Unlike most everyone else, I am not going to suggest you leave her to cry. tongue We did the CC thing with DS1..nightmare! It didn't take 3 nights as a PP has guaranteed, it was more like 10, and bedtime became a battleground.

Have you tried sending dad in to see what happens? When I decided to attempt to night wean DS2 at 9 months I would send dad in to attempt to resettle first....this worked probably about 8-9 times out of 10.

There is a method called gradual withdrawal, which might work. Basically you'd sit by her cot patting/shushing/hand holding/touching a leg or whatever until she is asleep, then you might progress to doing that until she is almost asleep and then remove your hand. Then you would sit next to her cot, not touching her and then get further and further away until you didn't actually have to sit there. It's not an immediate fix I know, but sometimes neither is leaving them to cry whether you go in to resettle or stay out of the room until they are asleep.

The other thing you could try is the Elizabeth Pantley Pull Out Method...which sounds a bit dirty but isn't. laugh Basically you feed her and once she is relaxed, sleepy and her sucking slows down you break the seal and gently remove the breast..repeating as often as necessary until she falls asleep. Eventually she will learn to fall asleep without the boob...though how long it might take depends on the baby/toddler involved, though she does say you could possibly master this skill within a few days.

I've done the no sleep thing, including 2 months when we were getting 5 very broken hours of sleep in every 24, and it's rough but I found the gentle approach to be much more comfortable for all involved than leaving him to cry like we did with DS1.

Good luck...and I hope you get some sleep soon. smile

Sign in to follow this topic