Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More

3yr old day sleep Lock Rss

What age did u stop giving your toddler a day sleep??
I have a 3 yr old and he really needs a sleep because come 5pm he is so naughty, but so hard to get him to actually settle and sleep some days. and such a happier kid after a nap.
Just wondering when everyone stopped trying to get them to hav a sleep????
My DS dropped his day sleep himself when he moved into a big bed at 2. I had just had DD and it was becoming a nightmare trying to get him to sleep so just left him. I try and get him to have quite times through the day or get him to lay down on the lounge with me when DD is sleeping. The days when he doesn't get this downtime is when he's a nightmare so maybe just do some quiet activities if it's becoming to hard.

If you haven't already could you possibly make his bedtime earlier?

Hi. My dd1 is just 4 and still has 2-3 hr day sleep, and goes to bed at 6:30! (She's a freak..) DD2 is 2 1/2 and she nearly seems ready to drop her day sleep, the nap time is getting shorter and it's getting later in the day. So in my opinion, it depends on the child, they're all so different in how much sleep they need and how behavioural they are without the nap!! Good luck with it all
I learnt the hard way with ds1 - if they don't want to sleep, you can't make them! DS1 dropped his sleep a little before 2yrs, ds2 was still having day sleeps until well after 3 and ds3 stopped around 2.5yrs. As pp said, introducing some quiet time is a good idea to get some down time, but it also helps them (and you) get through the afternoon.
My DS (nearly 3) is only very occasionally having a day sleep. It's just too hard to get him down most of the time. He seems to handle it ok, I just put him to bed a bit earlier than if he actually sleeps. It's kinda good in one way as we no longer have to schedule things before or after naps anymore. I think children let you know and every child is vastly different, so what works for one doesn't work for another smile

DS - Nov 2008 & DD - Feb 2012

What age did u stop giving your toddler a day sleep??
I have a 3 yr old and he really needs a sleep because come 5pm he is so naughty, but so hard to get him to actually settle and sleep some days. and such a happier kid after a nap.
Just wondering when everyone stopped trying to get them to hav a sleep????

DD1 was 2 years 10 months and DD2 was 2 1/2, I noticed more with DD2 that it took a few weeks for her to really settle into not having the day sleep, it was like she still needed it but at the same time refused to go to sleep. We just had to bear with it, make dinner early at 5pm and into bed at 6.45pm - she sleeps till 7.30-8am.
My first born dropped it at 2 years, 6 weeks after his brother was born arrrgh. He was never a good sleeper anyway and it turned into a huge battle so I gave up. He goes alright without it just gets silly hypo tired at the end of the day. I love it when we are out for the day and he falls asleep in the car and I carry him into bed and get a little peace for a change, its bliss!
I have a nearly 4yr old and I just can tell if he needs a nap or not from his morning behaviour. If he needs a sleep, I tell him he has to play in his room with the door closed for quiet time and after a while, he puts himself to bed and has a nap. If he seems he doesn't need a sleep, I put the telly on in the other room and give him some milk and shut he door, and tell him he has to stay in here until I open the door. He watches telly for what ever time I need, I usually say that when my #2DS wakes up, then he can come out. This way, i get my hour or so of me time regardless if he sleeps or not.
yes this is my dilemma also.
dd is 2&9m.o.. she fights going down for her nap. but if i get her to go down, it's only for an hour or so. if she doesn't have a nap, she can be feril at night & won't have a good dinner cause she's too tired.
if she does have a nap, she doesn't want to go to bed at night.
it all started to go pear shaped when i took her dummy away from her anout 3 months ago.
My eldest was 3 months shy of turning 3 when she stopped the day nap. My youngest was 2 1/2. Both go to bed at 7pm and my youngest sleeps till 7.30 / 8am.
My daughter is 3.8yrs old and I let her decide if she wishes to sleep or not. I would say that she still sleeps 5 out of 7 days for as little as 1 hour up to 2.5 hours.
Sign in to follow this topic