Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Moving toddler into a big bed before bub is due

Moving toddler into a big bed before bub is due Lock Rss

Hi all,

My husband & I have just ordered a bedroom suite for our 28 month old son. He currently still sleeps in a cot.
The bed is due to arrive by the end of November and I am due to have our second bub mid December.

Am I crazy to be thinking of transitioning my son into a big bed only a couple weeks before bub is due or should I just go for it??

My only concern is being up during the night with bub and then having my son wake up and wanting to be up with us as well. Should I even be concerned about that?

Would love to hear peoples thoughts smile
He'll be fine... if he gets up which may happen a coupke of times you just put him straight back to bed. I have 6 months old and 4 year old in same room and 4 year old never wakes to 6 month old in night. Having said that all kids are different.

Your 2month old will feel super special moving to big bed... tell him it's a big bed for a big brother smile
Hey there i'm also due mid December, my wee girl has just turned 1 and i have moved her into a bed already, it has a bed rail that i can take on and off, she isn't much of a mover so i guess it's easy for her to be in a bed, I started by putting her in the bed during the day for her day naps to get used to it, i also found it better to put her in a sleep sack to keep her under covers, i hope this helps a bit, is your wee one a wriggly sleeper?

Hey there i'm also due mid December, my wee girl has just turned 1 and i have moved her into a bed already, it has a bed rail that i can take on and off, she isn't much of a mover so i guess it's easy for her to be in a bed, I started by putting her in the bed during the day for her day naps to get used to it, i also found it better to put her in a sleep sack to keep her under covers, i hope this helps a bit, is your wee one a wriggly sleeper?

I don't think he is too much of a wriggly sleeper however at the moment when he goes to bed at about 7.30pm he stays awake for up to an hour afterwards. He just plays in his cot and laughs and carries on having a great time. So, I'm unsure how he will behave when he is not within the confines of a cot.....
my 1st son was 22mths old when my 2nd came along and I did the transition to toddler bed at 18mths. I decided to go with a cheap smaller toddler bed before buying an expensive "big" bed, as I thought it would help the transition (we're all different). I made a really big deal about how good the bed was and even let him help me make it...boys and tools..fun stuff. I also bought a doona cover that he picked himself being "Thomas the Tank Engine"...and i think it gave him a sense of real ownership...I also changed rooms too...went from nursery to 2nd bedroom, his room, not the baby room, so everything was new. I put a new fun rug in there first, and let him play in their with his toys a for about a week before putting the bed together, I played with him too to make sure it was a great fun room. Then I put him in the new bed for day time sleeps for a week, then made the transition to nights. I did have to do the return to bed technique for a couple of weeks and now he's nearly 4yrs old, has learnt that he can play in his room then plays puts himself to bed. I have also always shut their doors. With my 2nd, I did the same thing, only didn't change rooms, i took down 1 side of the cot (we're not having any more children) and made a big deal about how he could get out to play on the rug. I gave him a new doona cover. He also plays for a bit in his room with the door shut before putting himself to bed. Good luck with you little fella and try not to stress, he'll pick up on it and will reacte to your stress more than a result of the transition. each child is different too, so you know best on how your child will receive the new stuff.
our daughter was transitioned into a toddler bed at 19 and a half months. she decided she didn't want to go into the cot, and was actually terrfied of it. we put her in toddler bed, and haven't looked back. she is now 2 years 9 months, sleeps well, and toilet trained. just do what's right for your child.
If it were me I'd try to get him settled into a bed a few weeks earlier so it gives you time to settle him if need be, or if you go early ..... ?
Sign in to follow this topic