Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Tired due to 18 month old still waking

Tired due to 18 month old still waking Rss

My 18 month old son is still waking 2-3 times a night and I don't know why. He is awake at 5am every morning will not go back to sleep & has one sleep a day for about 1- 1 1/2 hours. He then goes to bed between 6.45 & 7pm. Keeping him awake longer just makes the night wakes worse. He is not teething that I know of. He is a active good kid during the day. I am struggling during the day myself and as I have never been able to sleep during the day I at times feel I am going mad. He does on the rare occasion sleep thru which just knocks my body clock around more. Has anyone got any ideas on how to get him to sleep thru and where I am going wrong?
This is normal. Take no notice of all the people around you that say there baby/toddler is sleeping all night etc etc. Some do,lots don't. Being up at 5 is normal at this age, waking several times a night is normal. It's hard work and you feel like you'll never feel alert and awake again!! It will pass.
Ugh my son is the same. He's 21 months and has never slept through (the best we've had is 2 wake ups and 3-4 would be an average night for us). Can't offer any advice on how to get them to sleep however what I can say is earlier this year I started co-sleeping on advice of a MACH nurse and things are much better as I now barely notice when he wakes as he falls back asleep when he knows we're right next to him. I now feel like I'm getting a good night sleep even with all the wake ups. Obviously not a solution for everyone and we're sacrificing long term sleep goals to get sleep in the short term but it is working for us at the moment.

Also I doubt you're doing anything wrong... I think some babies/toddlers just aren't good sleepers and need more help than others. You're probably doing a fantastic job in a difficult situation.
In my experience you need to tough it out.
It's a habit, and yep I am harsh with my kids about sleep, not if they are ill, but other than that, they sleep through, and have done from around six months.
If you want to break the habit you need to google some sleeping techniques along the lines of going in, laying back down, no eye contact or talking etc. It does work, you will probably have a week or maybe less of screaming and the it will be sweet, he will be happier and so will you.
I don't cope very well with no sleep, and I know what I have written sounds harsh, but if you want some sleep and you want your son to have a good nights sleep then you have to tough it out and hopefully you you have an 'other half' who can support you in this as it makes those first few tough nights so much easier.
I hope you get some improvement smile

Little Egg wrote:
In my experience you need to tough it out.
It's a habit, and yep I am harsh with my kids about sleep, not if they are ill, but other than that, they sleep through, and have done from around six months.
If you want to break the habit you need to google some sleeping techniques along the lines of going in, laying back down, no eye contact or talking etc. It does work, you will probably have a week or maybe less of screaming and the it will be sweet, he will be happier and so will you.
I don't cope very well with no sleep, and I know what I have written sounds harsh, but if you want some sleep and you want your son to have a good nights sleep then you have to tough it out and hopefully you you have an 'other half' who can support you in this as it makes those first few tough nights so much easier.
I hope you get some improvement smile

Totally agree. You have to be tough and have a routine so they know what's going to happen.

Our kids have never slept with us I think that is just creating another bad habit that you will have to fix later. I know with my kids it was the tough love and yes we had a few night of crying but after the third night and the habit was broken things improved.

I now have three kids that know when they are tired and ask to go to bed. Good routine and being consistent is the key.

Is it hard work, do you hate hearing them cry, does it make you feel mean? yes of cause. But then you are rewarded with some great sleep and it makes you feel so much better.

Good luck.

I did what little egg and me+hub+3 are talking about! As horrible as it feels I let my kids cry back to sleep. as long as I knew there was nothing wrong ie dirty nappy. Drinks are not a reason to get up. It took them all about three nights to set a new pattern and after that things improved so much. Now if they do cry I know their is a reason. They all get up between 6 and 7 and go back to bed around 7.
Thanks ladies. My 17mo is normally quite a good sleeper but after recently being ill has gotten into the habit of waking and crying hysterically for no reason until I put him in with me, which I don't mind but not as a long term solution. When he was 12m we had to take a tough love approach and it worked in only a few nights. Need reinforcement to do this again. It is really tough especially as I work full time & hubby works shift so crying out or having support isnt always the best or easiest for us all to have sleep.

Sign in to follow this topic