Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. How old are babies/toddlers when they start having only 1 sleep per day??

How old are babies/toddlers when they start having only 1 sleep per day?? Rss

Hi There

My 12 month old daughter still has 2 sleeps a day. She wakes at 7am, goes down at 9am. Then has her second sleep at 1pm. She sleeps a good hour and a half for both sleeps.

When did your baby/toddler begin to sleep once per day?? I am glad my bubba still needs her beauty sleep but wondering when I should expect a change in her sleep pattern.

Thanks for your help!!!

All the best
Kath

QLD

I've been wondering the same thing. My baby is 15 and a half months old and still has 2 sleeps; up at 5:30 or 6am, down at 9 and 2 for 1-2 hours each.
On the other hand, her playmate who is the same age has only one sleep in the afternoon and fights that, but is exhausted by bed time.
They're as individual as grown-ups! I'm happy for her to keep having 2 sleeps as she obviously needs them and is very grumpy and not herself if she misses one for some reason.
Doesn't really answer your question, but hope it helps anyway!
Hi guys,

My daughter is now 2 and only has 1 sleep in the afternoon. After she's had luch I put her down (about 12:30) and she'll usually sleep 'til around 2:30 or 3 (if I'm lucky).

I changed her routine about 4 months ago I think it was, she was waking up about 8:30 back to bed around 11:30 but then wouldnt wake til about 2 which was making it abit late for lunch - then she'd go back down about 4 - 6pm which again was making her night bed time later as she wasnt tired.
It only took me 1 day to change the routine, as I just kept her up an hour longer, enough time for her to have lunch, and have stuck to that since.

This has worked for us, and Jaida took to it really well. I guess maybe wait until they start not sleeping as well for 1 of their naps, or spend allot of time playing in their room when they should be sleeping - which is a sign they're not needing as much sleep.

Good luck & let us know how go.
JaidasMum24

Jaida (6), Ameli (2) & Lacey (2mths) - SA

Hi Kath,

My son started to have one sleep at about 13mths, he was hard to settle for his morning nap & afternoon nap. I spoke to the health centre nurse who suggested trying one sleep a day.

It can be hard as I had to amuse him when he was getting tired prior to lunch, however I did manage to get to sleep at 1pm without any problems. He know goes to sleep at about 1.30/2.00pm and will sleep on most days 2-3hrs and I will then put him to sleep at 8pm for night.

My friend from mothers group daughter (same age as my son) still has two sleeps. If bubs is still having two sleeps and sleeping well, I personally wouldn't worry about it at this stage. When she starts fighting her morning nap, then I would make the transition.

Hope this helps.

Sal
Thanks so much guys!!! I feel alot better knowing what other mums and their babies are doing in the sleep department.

Sal you are right, I will just keep going till bubby lets me know. I was not sure if she was getting too old for 2 sleeps still but this looks like not the case at all.

I have just moved to QLD from NSW and would like to join the local church group to meet some mummies and get back into the loop, but my little one sleeps while it is on, so I guess I will just have to wait till she grows out of her morning sleep.

On the plus side, it is great she sleeps twice a day for I can get more done around the house.

Thanks so much for your help

QLD

Hi Kath,

Glad that I can help. You are very lucky that you still get two breaks in the day. However now that Jack is older he is happy amusing himself while I quickly do housework

With regards to the group you would like to join, is it too hard to take bubs with you and let her sleep in her pram?
Sign in to follow this topic