Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Deaf daughter who won't go to bed without bottle but now does not fall asleep even once finished bottle

Deaf daughter who won't go to bed without bottle but now does not fall asleep even once finished bottle Rss

Hi, I have a two and a half year old daughter who is severly deaf and cannot hear without hearing aids. We unfortunately, as our first child, put her to bed from 9 months with a bottle. We were happy for her to take a bottle to bed until she was a bit older but lately have found that she will drink the bottle then stoll not go to sleep. She has about a 2 hour sleep during the day and if she doesn't get that she is even worse because she is overtired. Has anyone got some suggestions of how we can get her to go to sleep? unfortunately she cannot hear stories being read to her or calming music being played and we don't know what to do. She goes absolutely ballistic when we try to rock her to sleep or the likes and we both end up getting extrememly angry with her and have to leave her. I tried for 2.5 hours to get her to sleep tonight and ended up giving her another bottle . fortunately she was so exhausted from screaming that she went to sleep. Anyone able to help us - we're desperate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Cara Qld 15month & 31month ol girls

Hi, Just a thought .. but maybe she's not tired at the same time she has been in the past. As they get older they wont need as much sleep as they previously have. Maybe try keeping her up for an extra hour and see how she goes, or change her day nap to earlier on. What times does she have her sleeps?

My 2 yr old daughter wakes at about 7:30am then back to bed after lunch at 12:30 and will sleep til about 3:00, then her bed time is 7:30pm.

Do you have any kind of routine before bed time?
There's an excellent video available called "Nighty Night" (www.nightynightvideo.com), which has images of animals falling asleep etc, which may help get your daughter in sleep mode. If you cant get this one - i'm sure there are plenty of similar ones around (this one was recommended by Dr. Phil). But I really think a set routine before bedtime is essential.

This is all I can think of, and I reaally hope you can find something that works (I know how frustrating it can get)

Let us know how you go,
JaidasMum24

Jaida (6), Ameli (2) & Lacey (2mths) - SA

Dear Jaida's mum. I have of course tried having her go to bed a little later. this is how her routine work is: She wakes at about 8am, goes back to bed at noon, wakes again at 2.30. She seems very tried by 8.30 but won't go to sleep. we often don't get her to sleep til about 11pm, midnight or even at times 1am. We have tried having an earlier day nap, a shorter day nap and even no nap at all but we have no success. The thing that i find to be the trouble is that she can't hear anything without hearing aids and of course she can't go to sleep with them in. Thanks for your imput though.

Cara Qld 15month & 31month ol girls

Hi there,
I have found Tressillian to be really helpful. They are midwives who are specially trained in sleep issues for 0-2 year olds. Unfortunately I think they are N.S.W based, but I will give you their 24 hour help line to see if your call will go through, it's 1800 637 357. I have called them numerous times for advice on sleeping matters for my 15 month old.
Otherwise maybe you could try contacting contacting a sleep clinic for advice. I know there is one in Brisbane but I can't remember the name.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Laura DS July 03, DD Oct 05, DD Nov 08

Sign in to follow this topic