Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. When to change from two sleeps to one?

When to change from two sleeps to one? Lock Rss

My son is 14 months old now, and up until now has been waking up at 6am, then happily going down for a sleep at 8am for an hour, then at 1pm for an hour or so....but now, he does not seem to want to have a morning sleep anymore...he just plays in his cot. I'm happy enough to change it to one sleep during the day...but he is sooo tired by 11am, and 11am is too early to put him down as he'll only sleep for an hour - two if I'm lucky! Then goes to bed at 7pm. Just wanted to know if I should continue to miss his morning sleep? and will he get used to being up until midday? Love to hear other mums suggestions!
My daughter (who has always slept a lot) is in the process of changing from 2 to 1 sleeps. Her 2-sleeps-a-day pattern was very similar to your son's, so what we're doing may work for you...

She gets up at about 5:30- 6am. I entertain her until sometime between 10 and 10:30. If she has a good sleep of about 2 to 3 hours, I don't usually offer her a second sleep.

If she only has a short sleep, or she's tired, or we've had a big shopping trip etc, I put her down mid-afternoon for a sleep (say 3 or 3:30).

THis way, she'd usually not too tired at tea time. ALso, it varies much more than she used to; one day she has 2, the next day one... Takes a lot more flexibliity on my part, but we're finding it works. Hopethis helps!

Hi,
I had the same problem about a month ago so I sent a post to the sleep expert and she said this is the age where two sleeps turn in to one.
Lochie wakes around 7am. His next sleep is around 11am for usually 1.5 to 2 hours. He is then in bed sometime between 6 & 7 pm. I have found this to work really well with him.
Good luck,
Naomi

My babies are all grown up sad

Sign in to follow this topic