Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Dummy removal success story for 2 1/2 year old!

Dummy removal success story for 2 1/2 year old! Lock Rss

Hey

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the best way to get rid of my sons dummy and recently did it with great success.

My first son was a breeze to get rid of it and we did it when he was 2. Zack was a kinda outta sight outta mind kid so we just went cold turkey and in 3 days it was all over with.

Toby on the other hand was not going to be so easy. Toby likes to make decisions on these sorts of things for himself and wont budge!!
So what i did was snip the top off it and when he asked for it at bed time i handed it to him. He told me it was briken and asked for another one-i handed all the dummies to him all with the tops cut off-enough so he could still put it in his mouth if he wanted to but he didnt like the feeling so didnt. I told him that he had used them too much and now they were all broken. Naturally we had some tears but with a little back rub he went off to sleep perfectly! He has not looked back since, he had it next to his bed for three days and each time he went to use it he just put it back down-HIS decision!!
After about three days i told him i thought it was time to take the dummy and get rid of it coz it was a silly broken dummy. We went to visit Santa at Westfield where i slipped the girls a special present and Toby swapped his broken dummy for a present from santa.

I was surprised at how easy it was considering how VERY attached to it he was,
thought i would share this in case someone else out there has a little one who needs to make the decision themselves but just needs a little shove in the right direction!!

Kath
P.S for those funny little kids who choose to continue to pop the broken dummy in i have heard of other mums cutting a little more off each week till its all gone and theres only enough to bite on rather than chew-the swapping for a toy!

Kathryn - Zack-4, Toby-2 & Molly 1

Oooooh, I love it!!! Thanks for that one!!! DS is 21 months old and very attached to his dummy for sleeping and in the late afternoon/early evening. I've actually heard of the snipping part but what cracked me up was the tip at the end for those stubborn munchkins who still take the snipped dummy!!! Knowing my luck DS will be one of those stubborn kids and end up with just the handle!!! LOL!!!
Yes thanks Kathryn,

My 13 month old son is also VERY attached to him dummy (for sleeping only) i was just wondering how on earth am I going to take it away from him...what a great idea!!!!

He is a terrible sleeper at the moment so I will just have to wait a bit longer until i take it away from him but your post will be worth remembering.

Thanks again,
Amata
Sign in to follow this topic