Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 22 month old sleeping patterns

22 month old sleeping patterns Lock Rss

Hi all

My son goes to childcare on a full-time basis with one nap during the day.

We have a good settling routine of an evening - bath, books and in bed by 7.30pm. He is asleep within 10 minutes without fuss and sleeps through.

My problem is that my son decides it's time to get up at 6am most mornings which isn't too bad because I work full-time, but I am expecting my second child in October so would like to gradually encourage him to stay in bed a bit longer because our routine will change a fair bit. Is this wishful thinking?

Any advice / suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks

Jennifer, DS 21/06/03, DS 16/10/05

Post deleted by administrator.
Dream on Jennifer!!!! We thought the same thing when #2 was born but quickly realised it wasn't going to work that way!!

In all honesty, it's not too bad. We get some 'quality' morning time with our eldest before the time-consuming task of caring for his brother kicks in! #2 is now on solids, so it also gives me time to organise my 22 month olds breakfast, and then leave him to it while his 6 month old brother is either b/feed or feed his breakfast.

Good luck, but don't hold your breath!!!

Dette, DS 06.03, DS 10.04, DD 03.06 & Due Sept 07!

Hi Maria and Dette

Darn it. I was hoping there was a way! I've read about women who's children sleep till 7.30 - 8 am and I have no idea how they do it.

You're both fantastic to be able to manage it all. I have memories of how time consuming (but rewarding) a newborn can be so I can only begin to imagine how exhausted women must feel when they extend their family.

Dette, you're right. If I start thinking of the early mornings as spending quality time with my son, it's bound to make things easier.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one out there with a child who wakes at the crack of dawn... I guess the early starts must keep us young!

Jennifer, DS 21/06/03, DS 16/10/05

Hi I don't know if you can make him sleep longer but I am lucky with that I hear my girl wake at around 6am, but I can get away with leaving her to play for awhile.

She has a few stuffed toys in her cot and the book we read the night before goes in too, so she wakes up and just starts playing.

Tho all kids are different hey? especially if they wake hungry or something??

good luck tho and congrats on your soon to be new arrival

my littlepossum 12.09.03, #2 edd 09.02.06

hello there, well my little girl wakes me at 4.30 yes 4.30am,,, i suppose my body clock is used to it now, she goes to bed at night at 6pm cause she cant stay awake any longer lol, sleeps all night till 4am, which i suppose i should be happy bout.
she has only just recently changed her sleeping patterns,
she used to wake at 6am ,then say 10am back to sleep for an hour, bed at 6pm, but NOW she wakes earlier and has a nap around 8am stays up all day.
at night i fill her cot with toys and say night night, and she goes sleep.....
but 4am she up ,i tried to put her to bed later at night but it dont make a difference.
Each child is different !!!!!!!

from kylie

kylie (30) from munno para

Try settling him just that little bit earlier, at 7pm. I know when you're working it seems impossible that half hour is just priceless, but if he's on the "seven o'clock bus" as Tizzie hall would say, he should sleep that little bit longer in the mornings. You will need to try it for 3-4 days though to break the old habbit of 6am wakings.

We leave stuffed toys and some books in and near the cot so if our daughter wakes before 7am she can keep herself ammussed until 7am "out of cot time".

Best of luck...

mAy all yOur wiSheS cOmE trUe...

We've made an 'out of cot' time at 7.30am. We've put toys next to her cot that she can reach and pull in if she wakes earlier and have a play. Sometimes we hear her at 6.30am and she plays for alittle while and then goes back to sleep until 8ish. My parents did it with us as little kids and it worked really well, we just knew to stay in bed. It now works well for my husband and I.

Kind Regards
Alison

Alison, Vic, Abby 2.5 yrs, Poppy 5 mths

Sign in to follow this topic