Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. when to go to 1 sleep...

when to go to 1 sleep... Lock Rss

How do I know if my bub is ready for 1 sleep?
He has had a cold, been teething for the last 2 weeks and his afternoon sleeps have gone out the window, and a couple of times his morning sleeps also - including today he is up there crying and throwing his dummy and toys out of the cot and refusing to sleep. He is tired. Same in the afternoon he is always tired, yawning and rubbing eyes, grizzly etc, but has refused all afternoon sleeps for 2 weeks (except for 1 day). As he is still tired i really feel he still needs them, but it seems pointless putting him down and he gets so upset and never sleeps...
Previous to his cold, he wakes at 6.30, sleep at 9.30 for 1 1/2 hours and then again sleep at 2.30 for 1/2 hours, then bed at 7pm.
How do i go from him being up for 3 hours, to keeping him up from 6.30 til like after lunch or something for 1 sleep???? How does everyone do it and does it sound like he is ready???? HELP!!!

Suz, NSW

It's sometimes hard to know when to change your routine... When we changed to one sleep a day we followed a routine something like this:
out of bed 7am
breakfast 7.30
morning tea 9.30
mini lunch 10.30
sleep 11.00
wake up 1.30ish
mini lunch on waking
afternoon tea 3ish
bath 5.00
dinner 5.30
bed 7pm

This is flexible, we didn't have a "big" lunch rather split it into two because she slept in the middle of the day (eg fruit or youghurt before a sleep and sandwich after).

Basically the really securing times were as per a Tizzie Hall routine for Ashleigh's age group of 7am out of bed, 11am sleep, and 7pm bed. While trying to establish the routine Asleigh didn't sleep for the big chunck of time in the middle of the day, so I would take her for a drive or a push in the pram so she could get another little sleep until she started sleeping at least 2 hours in the middle of the day.

If this doesn't work for you could try one Tizzie's routines suitable for your child's age. They can be found at www.saveoursleep.com.au

Goodluck

leanne

mAy all yOur wiSheS cOmE trUe...

How old is your little one?
Mine went from 2 sleeps a day to 1 a day between 15 and 18 months we don't have a set routine at all he changed it himself really. As i would put him down for his morning sleep and he would sleep for 2 or 3 hours so he was then missing out on his afternoon sleep. Don't force them to go to bed as that is when they will get grumpy. try putting them down at lunch time and see what happens. Good Luck

Bec,QLD,20mth baby boy

Sign in to follow this topic