for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 19month old crying when placed in bed

19month old crying when placed in bed Lock Rss

my son has just started to cry everytime i place him in his bed. he has his bottle (sometimes he falls asleep on the bottle) but as soon as i go to put him into bed he starts crying. i rub his back and wait until he has stopped crying but as soon as i take my hand away he starts up again. i have tried to pick him up and help rock him back to sleep but then as soon as he is in bed he cries again.

it is so frustrating. he has never done this b4 and i dont know what to do.

i end up leaving the room and within a couple of minutes he is asleep. its sad to think that he has to cry himself to sleep when b4 he was going to sleep peacefully.

anyone out there have the same problem or any advice it would be good to hear from you.

moni SA twin boys 17mnths

Sounds like the clever little tike has worked out that crying = cuddles!!

It can be totally gut wrenching to hear your dear boy crying from the cot but my advice is to remind yourself that there is a big difference between "crying out" and "crying". What I think he is doing is calling out to you as he has learnt that this leads to hugs. Its just my opinion but I would be careful of giving him too much attention as a result. Its possible that he may begin to use all the rocking and rubbing as a sleep association and forget how to fall asleep without it. It sounds to me as though you are doing the right thing by leaving the room and letting him get on with the snoozing at hand. Our 13 mth old still has brief protests of a few minutes at each nap time but soon nods off afterwards. Its better that he learn the lesson now because it would be a lot harder to do when he is bigger and able to hop out of bed as well! Hope this helps.

Narelle, Melbourne, 4 yr old and 18mth old boys

Sign in to follow this topic