Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Any tips on moving from a cot to a bed?

Any tips on moving from a cot to a bed? Lock Rss

Ella is 18mths now and I'm wondering if I should be moving her into a bed? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this or at what age is most appropriate?

Kelly & Ellanor

Hi

My daughter was moved from her cot to a bed at about 20 months of age. This was only because my youngest needed to go into the cot. I had my doubts about how well it would work and it has been two weeks now with no problems at all. She is actually sleeping better now than she was in the cot because she would bang her head and arms on the sides and wake herself up.

I thought about doing it gradually but one day I just decided to do it cold turkey, removed the cot from the room and replaced it with a bed and she had no trouble at all.

She is used to sleeping in a few different places though and has never been unable to sleep in a pram or portacot so maybe that has something to do with it?

Good luck with the move!

Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

hi
i started putting my babys in to a bed at 12months of age. i see if that can slid them self of the lounge thay can get of a bed. plus i would put them on a bed in the day and the cot at night so thay could get use to a bed then when i took the cot away i would lay the cot mattrest half under the bed that way if thay fell out thay would not hurt them salf on the hard floor i hope i have helped you in any way

tina,vic,lots of kids lol

Hi,

My husband and I decided to move our son from a cot to a bed when we moved into a new house. He was 18 months old when we did it. I think being in a new place helped, as it was like a 'new beginning' for him. Our cot was able to convert to a bed, so he still had the familiar feeling of his matress, and he was able to see us convert it, which he thought was pretty exciting! We too put an old cot matress on the floor 1/2 under the bed, as he did fall out during the first 2 - 3 weeks. Now he has learnt not to move around as much, so we decided to give him a pillow. He now has the best sleeps, only waking if he is sick. I think that if you feel that your child is ready to move, then make them a part of it. If you need to buy a bed for them, take them with you and get them to help you choose. The more involved they are in the decision, then the better they will adapt. Just remember to shut the door when you put them to sleep for the first couple of times in a bed, as they tend to roam around and not sleep. especially during the day.
Hope this helps!

Rebecca, NZ, Boy born 30/10/03

I'd quite like to get my 19 month old daughter into the bed which is already in her room, but I am worried thast she will just get up and play instead of sleeping! Especially during her day time naps. Any ideas anyone?

Ellie, NSW, DD 3 yrs & TTC # 2

Hi !
I'm not sure if you moved your daughter already or if you have a bed for her or not !!!
my friend got her daughter those mini single beds !! they just a bit bigger than the cot and very low so it is ok if they fall off accidently!!!
She bought that when her daughter was about 18 months old and she is seven now and still sleeps in it !! i think they cost around $150 with a matress! I saw some in babyco! She took her daughter to choose the one she liked and never had any trouble with her not wanting to sleep in it !!
ok hope this helps !!!
We moved our daughter into a big bed between 17 and 19 months.

We decided to do it gradually. We started her off with her daytime nap and she did really well. After a week we tried nighttime but all came down with a cold so we put it off. She spent about a month having day sleeps in the bed and night in the cot.

We finally tried night sleeps last week and she did wonderfully. She sleeps much better now that she's not hitting the sides of the cot in her sleep.

I think the bonus of moving her so early is that she hasn't really developed the security and attachment to the cot.

Good luck
Bri

Mum to (Olivia 3 Feb 2004) & (Emily 26 Jan 2006)

We moved Jacob into his bed at 13 months, because I was pregnant and wanted him to get used to his new room before number 2 arrived. He went happily straight from day one ! I couldn't believe it, thought I would have dramas. I think it had something to do with we got him really involved with decorating his new room, made a big deal out of it being his special room. Moved all his toys and stuff in so nothing but the actually room changed, and his bed is a queen size. Put him in the middle, and no falling out during the night !

Mel, SA, 2002, 2005

Hi All,

I need some advice please, my son is 13 months and hasn't slept well in his cot for a couple of months now. He moves around alot and bangs his head on the sides, which disturbs his sleep and mine as well.

I was stressing about how to fix it because the easy solution would have been a bumper, but the sids recommendation says not to use them. I'm not sure up until what age not to use them but to be safe, I just decided not to at all.

So I thought, the only other thing other than making him wear a stack hat to bed! is to move him into a bed.

We bought him a racing car bed with high sides for a little extra protection due to his age, and only just tried him in it today. He slept surprisingly well.

My problem is, I used to just put him in his cot awake, and he'd roll over and go to sleep, whereas in the bed, do I just put him in awake? Won't he just get up?

Also, to avoid too much upset, I have continued to put him in his grobag so he at least feels secure. What about when he gets up, I worry it will trip him up or something.

Sorry for the long post. Any suggestions?

Merry Christmas to you all and your little angels...

Elle, DS: Kai 20/11/04 & DS: Jamie 13/02/07

hi

My son is 3 in January and i just moved him into a bed in November there was no need to move him any earlier.

I found that him being older it was easier to get him to do it.

The only problem i have now is he wakes at about 5.30 every morning and hops into bed with me.

Danielle, Vic
bump

Narelle, Melbourne, 4 yr old and 18mth old boys

Good Afternoon All,

My son will be 18mnths when he moves from his cot into his bed. My mother has suggested to me to get one of the side bars that goes on to the bed to stop him rolling out at night. Where do you get these bars from? Can you buy them in a bed set, i have looked on the internet and haven't found any on numerus web sites. Also does any one have any helpful hints with making "the big move"?

Jayne

Jayne,Bris,15mnths toddler

Sign in to follow this topic