Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toddlers & Relationships
  5. How do i Teach him to be "gentle" with his baby brother?

How do i Teach him to be "gentle" with his baby brother? Lock Rss

Ashton is 14 montsh old. Dylan is 6 weeks. Ashtondoes not yet understand that dylan is a baby? he cuddles and kisses him though he pokes his face as he does this or head butts him. He loves dylan to poieces and the fist thing he does in the morning is go to Dylans door, but i cant teach him to be gentle. He huges him, bu hugs his face or jumps on him. I have heard of giving him his own doll, but i think hes too young?
has anyone been in a similar situation or have any advice?

Ashton 13/8/04, dylan 27/8/05, #3 due 22/9/07

Hi
We have been through similar with an 18 month age gap between our two. To teach my son the concept of being gentle, I stroked his hair very softly calling that "gentle" and asked him to show mummy gentle - it didn't take too long for him to stroke my hair gently. We could then say to him "show Nanna gentle" etc and once he had an understanding of what gentle was we also use it when he is being rough with toys, banging his spoon loudly etc. Not sure if this will work for you, but seems to have done the trick for us (not to say he still doesn't do things like push on bubs tummy when he leans down to say hello!!).

Victoria, WA - Fisher (07/11/03) & Rosa (09/05/05)

hi kirsty,
when i had my youngest son, my eldest son was 21mths. he loved him instantly and wanted to hug and kiss him constantly. i was cautious, as he didnt know the weight of his strenght. but what i did learn was dont push him away, and dont keep saying no. otherwise the second my back was turned he was on him.
the last thing you want is a jealous child on your hands, and that is what he will become if you push him away.
just be consistant in telling your son to 'be gentle' or 'softly'.
also just be careful in the way you muck around with him, because usually thats the way he will try to be with bubs
i hope that helps. smile

Amina, mum of 3 boys 06/03, 03/05, 06/08

Sign in to follow this topic