Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

when do they start to talk? Lock Rss

My son is already saying words and the odd phrase. How long until or when should I expect him to begin to talk in sentences and understand me? Reading posts about children 16mth or older they seem so grown up! Liam is 13 1/2 mths, I couldn't imagine he would be like that by then!

Em Tmba - mum to Liam 31/7/03 & Callum 7/5/05

Hi Emily! I only have 1 child, so I only have her to go by. Jaida is now 2 yrs old, and from memory she started saying allot more about 6 months ago, repeating words and being able to say the name of something from a picture in a book etc. About 2 months ago I sat down and noted all the words she can say, and it came to around 65. You dont notice how much they can say until you stop and think about it. She still doesnt say sentences as such, but she can say phrases like: whats that, ohh noo, all gone, where is it, simple things like that. She can also now understand us quite well, and has been able to for about the same time (4-6 months).

So, I'd say give it another few months and there'll be no stopping little Liam, its amazing how fast they go from saying afew words to chatting away constantly .. and I mean CONSTANTLY. =)

Enjoy it while it lasts.

JaidasMum24

Jaida (6), Ameli (2) & Lacey (2mths) - SA

by 18 mo they should have 15-20 words & at about 2-2.5 talk with words strung together. ny eldsest son was slow to talk the middle one is a chatter box never stops the youngst will be 2 in 2 months & is a bit slower he says the odd word

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

hi my eldest did't talk properly until he started day care when he was about 2 2.5 and had other kids around my middle one started earlier at about 20months as he had his bother to learn from no just me

bec NSW mum of 3

Sign in to follow this topic