Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Scared of people Lock Rss

My daughter is 15 months old, she has become quite clingy to me (she is teething with molars!!) but what is hard is that if strangers particulary men or any man (poppy and uncles included) she hasnt seen alot of the past 2 days looks at her she bursts out crying.

Im talking full on water works hysterical crying. She sometimes does it to the women as well but is ussually just wary of them even her nan if she hasnt been around for a few days.

Im am wondering if other children are the same and how to discourage the overreaction

I dont think its because of anything bad she is just scared and is emotional she also crys when the dog gets in trouble.

Leanne, Eliza Jade 17/1/05

I think its normal, my son is 19 months old and has become increasingly clingy to me over the last few months. This is also partly because he comes to work with me everyday now, whereas before he went to my mother's when I went to work, so he's a lot more used to me. But I have noticed that he is more clingy when he's teething or (as my mother puts it...) feeling precious because of his teeth or oncoming cold etc. I think it will pass, I have 7 nieces and nephews all of whom went through the stage you are talking about and wouldn't come near me even if i bribed them...now I can't get them off me!

Jade, QLD, DS Sept 04, #2 due 06/08/07

Hi Leanne,
My daughter is 21 mths and she has just hit that stage too. A HUGE shock for me as she has always been an independent little thing not really caring where mum and dad were. Lately, she has freaked out when anyone comes near her or if I walk two feet from the pram when we are out. She used to adore our next door neighbour but screams if he even looks at her or sticks his head over the back fence.

I am simply reassuring her that she is ok and then I ignore it. If I react, it gets worse so I try not to overplay it. I think it is just a stage - at least I hope so as she has always been so social.

Let me know how it goes and if you find anything that works.

Carly

Carly - mummy to Alyssa, Ava and Mason

hi i also have a 15mth old daughter and she is terrifired of her pop he only has to look at her and she is in full water works cant breath the lot in 5mins flat.Im not sure what it is shes fine with everyone else just not him .She is also teething maybe in some weired way that has something to do with it.I really dont know how to discourage this but if you find a way please let me know.

kristy NSW 5yrboy and 15mthgirl

Sign in to follow this topic