Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

kissing on the lips Lock Rss

I'm not one who feels comfortable kissing my kids on the lips. But my 4-year-old has recently been trying to kiss me on the lips. She grabs my head and tries to force a quick kiss. Anyway, I know there are LOTS of parents who have no problem with this but to me it just feels weird. I don't like it. Well, she finally succeeded tonight. I suppose I have let her hoping that this would end the saga. She's wanted to be a lip-kisser since she was a wee thing though. I tried to just brush it off like it was not a big deal. And I have explained to her that mommy's lips are for daddy to kiss only and that she and I should share kisses on the cheeks.

Really--I don't want to make a big deal out of it. I don't want to make her feel bad or ashamed. But it IS okay if I don't want my kids to kiss me on the lips, right?

Mom of two beautiful little girls

It's whatever you feel comfortable with, but I'd be exploring why you don't feel comfortable kissing your children on the lips.

I have a problem with showing my emotions and affection, but I've had to learn to put that aside when it comes to my kids and DH.

Kissing family on the lips is a very natural thing to do as is a cuddle or a hug. Try to think how not kissing her on the lips coupld affect her in the future. If you don't feel comfortable with this, she may learn to think it's the wrong thing to do and affect how she has other relationships. That's a worse case scenerio, but it's something to think about.

Good luck! smile

I'm not one who feels comfortable kissing my kids on the lips. But my 4-year-old has recently been trying to kiss me on the lips. She grabs my head and tries to force a quick kiss. Anyway, I know there are LOTS of parents who have no problem with this but to me it just feels weird. I don't like it. Well, she finally succeeded tonight. I suppose I have let her hoping that this would end the saga. She's wanted to be a lip-kisser since she was a wee thing though. I tried to just brush it off like it was not a big deal. And I have explained to her that mommy's lips are for daddy to kiss only and that she and I should share kisses on the cheeks.

Really--I don't want to make a big deal out of it. I don't want to make her feel bad or ashamed. But it IS okay if I don't want my kids to kiss me on the lips, right?
I agree with you. I'd be uncomfortable with it too (when I have a child that is!). I see kissing on the lips as an intimacy with my husband. Kids and relatives strictly cheeks only. I'm not sure why, I never had anything untoward happen to me. My parents never did kissing on the lips with us, and I never questioned that or wondered why - I just sort of caught on.
I didnt used to feel comfortable with it either, we always did kissing on the cheeks. I definitely wouldnt want anyone else kissing my kids on the lips.

When DD1 was about 3 she started with wanting to kiss me on the lips "I want a Daddy kiss" she would say, cause he gets kisses on the lips and so I gave her a quick peck and she was happy as larry. The only time we get lippy kisses is at bedtime, she kisses each cheek, then the forehead, chin, nose and lips. Its not something she does all the time and when we say bye at preschool its a hug and a kiss on the cheek.
This is interesting, I have never given it any thought until now but thinking about it we never kissed on the lips either. There is a large gap between myself and two brothers and I didn't want to kiss them on the lips when they were babies for the mere fact of the dribble, however at 3 or 4 theres no dribble really. Maybe just see how it goes, she might grow out of it but I don't think its wrong in any way to say you are uncomfortable with it cos I think most of us are.
I've always kissed my son on the lips, don't really see the problem with it? HOWEVER he himself decided not to long ago(at 3yrs old) that he didn't wanna kiss mummy on the lips, I was only "allowed" kisses on the cheek lol. he's recently started giving me kises on the lips again, not all the time though, I've never really thought about it to be honest. just whatever you're comfortable with and feels natural to you smile
I love hearing all the opinions and replies. It's so interesting. I guess I'm not cool with it because my parents never did that with us. It feels "too" affectionate. But I liked incorporating it with the bedtime routine, 2LoveBugs. Hopefully my daughter will be happy with that one and I won't have to think about it again. haha!

i am not a kisser either when it comes to my extended family, friends etc but when it comes to my dh and my kids i have no problem kissing them on the lips. i can easily differentiate between a kiss on the lips between my kids and myself and a kiss on the lips between my dh and i.
Wow! Fascinating topic!! LOL My family think I'm a bit of an ice queen, always teasing me for not being affectionate, etc......they're right in a way, but I am also a very private person, so I am HUGELY affectionate in the privacy of my own home! DS kisses me on the lips all the time - I love his little kisses!! They completely make my day smile I have no issue at all with my kids kissing me on the lips - it's completely different to DH's kisses & not in sexual in the slightest. I'll do it as long as he let's me!! wink

I love smoothering the kids in kisses everywhere but I'm not that comfortable on the lips either - but I think that's more to do with not wanting to pass on to them any unknown germs or hibernating colds or viruses - and vice versa, getting it from the kids as they go to childcare and there's a high chance there'll be a cold coming!!! A quick one here and there is always nice though, but lip kisses DEFINATELY not allowed from others or even grandparents! How's this though, a female friend once greeted DH with a kiss on his lips - nearly bowled me over if it wasn't for the fact that I knew they were just 'mates' - but what a shock still blink !

How's this though, a female friend once greeted DH with a kiss on his lips - nearly bowled me over if it wasn't for the fact that I knew they were just 'mates' - but what a shock still blink !

Wow! That would certainly shock me too! Does seem inappropriate!

And I would also certainly hope that everyone did NOT kiss their kids the same way they kiss their hubbies. ha! Just for clarification--I am definitely talking about a little kiddie peck on the lips. And I agree with the germs thing. Maybe that's one reason I don't like it. I don't even like eating food off of my kids plates or drinking from a cup after they have. Very interesting thought. I'd not realized that before. Hmm.

Keep sharing!

Sign in to follow this topic