Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappy Pants

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

healthy boy Lock Rss

Our son is 14 months old and very healthy. he havent be sick for over a year. My partner and i are curious, if we want to take our son to daycare in the near future, we will hate if our son get sick from other kids. i know it will be the ssme at primary years. mmm

Our son is 14 months old and very healthy. he havent be sick for over a year. My partner and i are curious, if we want to take our son to daycare in the near future, we will hate if our son get sick from other kids. i know it will be the ssme at primary years. mmm

I say build up immunity while they are younger. Our DD is 13months, and has been at daycare 2 days a week since she was 4 months. in that time she has had a couple of colds(nothing bad that she couldnt still go), very mild case of conjuctivitis and just now a very mild case of hand foot and mouth. in 8 months i dont think that is bad.
IMO if you kept him away until he went to school he would prob end up sick all the time cause he wouldnt have been around any of these "germs"
I went to school with a few kids who, up until they went to kinder at 5yrs hadnt been to daycare or playgroup and with in the 1st term they had picked up so many things that they were away from school alot.
its all up to you whether or not you want to put your child in to care where there is the possiblity he gets sick or wait to see when he is older.
I would let him get sick to help build up his immunity. He could get sick from other kids just going to the grocery shop with you, so if its gonna happen, its gonna happen. I have a 16 month old DD who got a viral infection after we started playgroup and when we took her to the DR he said not to worry to much if she gets colds or anything like that as there is something like 500 childhood viruses they can and should catch before they turn 5!. I was shocked to think that there was that many safe illnesses they could catch before 5. She hasnt really been sick any other times apart from a cough we are trying to get rid of at the moment.

I think, from what I have seen from other mums, is if you dont let your child get sick, once they go to school they will catch everything as they dont have the immunity yet. I wouldnt worry about it to much. It doesnt make you a bad parent if your kids get sick and really in the long run its going to help them.
My DS has been at daycare for 9 months now and he NEVER gets sick (touch wood). He is also around his cousin who is 4 months older and is PERMANENTLY sick.

Some kids just have a better immune system then others. However, if you wrap them in cotton wool then you are potentially leaving their immune systems 'immature' as they haven't learnt to develop IYKWIM.
Sign in to follow this topic