Nappy Pants

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toddlers & Relationships
  5. To Facebook or not to facebook...??

To Facebook or not to facebook...?? Lock Rss

Hi ladies, I am one of the few left who do not have a facebook account. I have never really been interested and keep in touch with my friends the old fashioned ways like text, talk and visit! BUT now that i am at home on maternity leave I am feeling a little isolated as friends are at work and/or have their own kids to attend to and I am craving company and adult conversation... as wonderful as it is to have my almost 4 yr old here with me too!! So I have been considering getting on facebook finally and keeping in touch with people that way. A lot of people I know are on it of course and I hear both positive and negative feedback about it. For example- one friend since getting on fb has reconnected with old friends and has a great social life catching up with them all and LOVES fb yet another was recently telling me she is considering closing her fb account as it can get so bitchy and competitive and she calls it 'bragbook' because thats all anybody does on it. Im also quite a private person, but am feeling a little lonely at the moment... What do you guys think about facebook if youre into it? Good, bad, addictive, competitive?? Any views welcome, thanks x
I deleted my FB account a few months ago, I also called it bragbook because that's all it really was! I figure I'm able to keep in touch with my "real" friends outside of FB. I had lots of old school people on there but in hindsight I figure we weren't friends then so why do I need to know what they're doing now?

I was also finding that I was spending alot of time thinking about peoples posts, especially if I was upset by by them. Sometimes you shouldn't know everything that goes on in someones life!

So much of it is rubbish anyway, people talking about what they're eating, whinging about work, housework, lack of sleep etc etc.

My advice would be to stay away!
I'm one of the Facebook fans. I was skeptical before joining, but I have reconnected with some old friends and find it easier to keep up to date with people and organise things in the "real world", so it's been great.

There are certainly negatives to it as well, but I think they can be managed pretty easily. I keep my settings very private (friends only), I've kept my friends list pretty small (my general rule is if I wouldn't bother saying hello to them on the street or only say hello out of obligation then I don't accept friend requests from them) and I have no issue with unfriending if their statuses are always depressing or bitchy and I don't have regular contact with them anyway. If unfriending them would cause an issue (for example certain family members) then I just ignore the majority of their posts (nice and easy to do on a computer screen and easier to deal with them there then in real life!).

In the end it has positives and negatives just like interacting with people in real life. There are always going to be people who use it in a questionable way but as long as you know what you're doing and set up a system that works for you then you won't have any issues. It all comes down to etiquette. Some people have it and some people don't. You just have to be careful not to let other people drag you down with them wink

Although i get very frustrated at some of points made above as well...it is 'bragbook' a lot of the time, but i do still enjoy it.
I get to see pics of my friends overseas and see what they are up to when generally i wouldn't, and friends kids etc
You can keep it as private as you want-you don't have to accept every friend request and it is definitely a good way to feel social. You can put as little or as much info on there about you as you want. Try it-if you don't like it, you can deactivate your account. But-it can be a bit of a time waster smile

Blacey wrote:
I deleted my FB account a few months ago, I also called it bragbook because that's all it really was! I figure I'm able to keep in touch with my "real" friends outside of FB. I had lots of old school people on there but in hindsight I figure we weren't friends then so why do I need to know what they're doing now?

I was also finding that I was spending alot of time thinking about peoples posts, especially if I was upset by by them. Sometimes you shouldn't know everything that goes on in someones life!

So much of it is rubbish anyway, people talking about what they're eating, whinging about work, housework, lack of sleep etc etc.

My advice would be to stay away!

100%agree!!

I haven't been on in about a year or more...huggies is my social outlet, I love huggies over Facebook and I count the girls on here my friends and my "real life" have to deal with visits and phone calls lol they're always harping on at me to get FB again roll eyes they know where I stand lol

I love facebook great for catching up with close friends and family, but also great for the groups. You can join groups for just about anything. I am in a few closed groups related to my TTC journey, having a premmie even my love of trucks! I have even started a closed group for people who are having rainbow babies after suffering a loss during pregnancy. I agree with the posters above keep your settings private if you are a private person.

I too am a facebook fan. I had lost contact with everyone from my school days and fb helped me to rekindle old and new friendships. In fact our 20 year reunion has been organised through fb. smile
I'm also wary about privacy and make sure I have everything set on friends only. You do have the option of screening your status updates and photos so if you don't want certain friends to see it you can put it on custom.
I too am on maternity leave and if it wasn't for fb and huggies I would be completely lost and crazy.
I'm more concerned about privacy on huggies than fb which is why I haven't put up any photos of myself or my girls, although it is tempting.
As others have said if you find it's not for you can always deactivate your account. smile

Sign in to follow this topic