Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toddlers & Relationships
  5. When's a good time for Baby No2

When's a good time for Baby No2 Rss

Hi there
My husband and I have a 12 month old boy and lately I have been really clucky for another baby. We had planned to not start trying until our son was 2, 2 1/2 years but now we are talking about trying at Christmas.
Any suggestions for a good age gap between children. If we get pregnant straight away our son would be just over 2years when the baby would be born.
I have friends telling me to do it and family telling me to wait.
Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Full time Mum

I find that people tend to give advice based on what they did. I suppose its normal, but its hard to make a decision for yourself as no one tends to give advice for what is best for you - they are always thinking of themselves and what they did.

The most common age gap tends to be 2 years. I started out thinking I'd have 2 close, but as time has gone by, I've wanted a larger age gap. Things I started asked myself was:

* How many kids do we want?
* Am I in any hurry to pop these kids out?
* Is age an issue, for example, am I in a hurry to have more children before my age is a factor.
* Do I want to wait until DD is toilet trained and more capable.
* Do I want to enjoy DD more, before having another baby.
* Do I want to enjoy my life a little big more before having another one.
* Will they be better friends if they have a close age gap or will they fight more.
* Am I physically and mentally ready to have a second child.
* Is DH ready to go through that again.

Having said all that, my DH says we will have 9 months to prepare for it when it does happen so whats the big deal !!!

LOL

Gotta love blokes some-times.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Hi Jade my daughter is 13 months old and some of my friends have just had newborns and when I seee them I get clucky for another baby but than I think am I ready for another baby right now and could we cope as well.

I think that if you a ready for another baby and if your hubby wants another one now than go for it but if you arent to sure about having another one than maybe you should wait til your son is older than now.

We are having another baby when our daughter is 4 years old so she can help us out and be included being a big sister.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Hi there we are thinking about another one as well i have a 19month old son i want a 2 to 2.5 year gap if i dont fall between now and january we are going to wait intell our son is 3.5 to start again as we dont want there birthdays to close as well his birthday is a week after christmas i have a relative who had a 3 year gap and her eldest is a hand full i was wondering what was a good gap as well i read another reply to this and it was good advice .Hope all gose well for you .
thanks
Hi Jade,

I think a good time for a second one is whenever you feel you and your hubby are ready. I also have a 12 month old baby girl and my husband and I are currently trying for number 2. The other post is right, people will give advice on what they think. Had it not taken us so long to conceive the first time, (it took 3 years), I probably would have preferred a slightly bigger gap between the two but it did take a long time so now I am already 32 and will be 33 by the time the second one is born, that is if we don't have problems again. My decision was kind of made for me because I don't want to be too much older before I have the second one. I know some people do but it isn't something I'm keen on.

You do what feels right for you. Unless there is a major reason why your family thinks you should wait a little longer than I can't really see that it has too much to do with them. This is your family after all.

Hope this helps.
Kaz

Karen, NSW, 1 baby girl

hi there

i have two boys which are only twenty months apart, at times it can be hard although my second child is such a delight, and has made it so much easier for me, the one thing that i worried about the most was whether i was going to breast feed baby no2, when the time come i decided against it. with my eldest child being under the age of 2 they are still so dependent on us for so many things at that age, it was easier to give baby a bottle and lay him down to have it so i could still meet my eldest childs wants and needs. i dont regret it at all especially cause i had a 2nd boy, they will grow up (hopefully) the best of mates. one thing that is difficult with the both of them though is the grocery shopping, you cant expect the two year old to walk beside you, cause thats just not going to happen, and if you put him in the trolley you have little room left, squashed bread and its just a nightmare, i tend to leave one at home or with my mum.
good luck with your descision i hope i have helped in some way if you have any questions would like me to answer please ask

renee nsw

Hi mums lately I have been getting clucky cause some of my friends have newborns and now I want another baby but I know that I am not ready for another baby plus my daughter who is 14months old is still breastfeed at night and also want to go back to work when Jaye is 2 years old and actually talk to adults instead of baby talk.

I think that I will hold my friends newborns and than give them back to them but than I think that it would be great to have another baby.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Sign in to follow this topic