for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toddlers & Relationships
  5. Doesn't want to leave daycare

Doesn't want to leave daycare Lock Rss

My 2 and half year old Daughter goes to daycare 2 days a week and when i go and pick her up i get a big hello and hug but as soon as i say, say goodbye she runs away from me and says no, no, no and when i finally catch her and pick her up she starts having a tantrum because she doesn't want to leave. Her carers say she is an angel there and they never have any problems with her, does anyone have any ideas of how i can change this behaviour so i don't take her out of daycare kicking and screaming everytime.

Jess, Ash 3, Jackson 8 wks

something i read a longtime ago prekids was to give a warning about leaving/packing up etc was to give a 5 minute warning eg honey go say goodbye to everyone we are leaving in 5 mins (you can make it 2 minutes they dont know the difference) but say 5 mins cos they think thats ages.

We do this all the time ie Bennett its bed time in 5 minutes ok so start getting ready. and that works also when leaving friends houses or the park or playcentre.

something about just reefing them out of whatt hey are doing works better with the 5 minute warning LOL.

So perhaps if you can have that extra 5 minutes there tell her its almost time to go so start packing up etc....

It might take some perserverence and back up in other situations but it should work

Good luck

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Hi jess2522 I dont have that problem but my daughter goes to Daycare 2 days a week and she is okay when we are walking down to her room but soon as I put her stuff into a box she will cry and scream and it takes half hour for her to settle and than she is fine and loves it til I pick her up again than she will cry til we are out of the room and on the way to the car.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Hi

I have had exactly the same thing with my eldest when she was younger. I did as a PP has suggested and took a bit longer to say goodbye, played with her / watched what she was doing for a little while and then she was fine. Another suggestion that one of the carers gave me was to arrive at exactly the same time everyday and if possible just towards the end of a 'scheduled' activity like afternoon snack or rest. That way your child gets to know that it will be time to go soon. Of course, if you get into this type of routine and want to change it, better make sure she knows! I had my 2 1/2yo crying brokenheartedly cause I picked her up early one day to take her to the Hi-Five concert - she wanted to stay at daycare!

Can i also just say - look on the bright side, at least you know she is happy at daycare, not wanting to leave and all!

Michelle,SA,DD1 4 yo, DD2 9/8/05

Sign in to follow this topic