for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toddlers & Dads
  5. having differculties with 14 month old

having differculties with 14 month old Lock Rss

My little boy is 14 months old and I am a full time mum (who rears calves on the side) his dad works from home and manages two large dairy farms and my boy only wants his dad. I'm really struggling i feel like a failure when he screams for his dad when his dad leaves and literally hides behind his father and cries when i go to get him. Its really upsetting me he has always been my baby and i can't handle this rejection. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just a phase? How did you handle it? Anyone to talk to would help heaps

Liams Mum,NZ,14mth boy

My little girl (21 months) is definitely a daddy's girl, if she hurts herself she'll run to him first. It used to be lots worse, she wouldn't want me if she was upset at all, but it's starting to be a bit fairer now. I just let it be, figured i can't force her, and made a special effort. I think the main reason is because i had the twins, i was tired and busy with them, and dad always had more energy to play. It used to get to me too though, but then i thought well hey, maybe the mum doesn't HAVE to be no1 all the time, and i should be happy she has such a fantastic father and has that special bond with him. The jealousy still niggles sometimes, but i'm mainly happy with it nowdays, and it makes all those times when she wants me over him extra special!

Kelly, 22, 1 @ 25/1/04, 2 @9/3/05, 1@5/4/06

Hi Liam's mum,
I went back to work when my little girl was just 4 months. She is now 19 months and she knows as soon as I put my work uniform on where I am going. And she performs!!!! She cries like crazy for about 10 minutes after I am gone sometimes. Hubby usually distracts her by giving her her morning bottle, or taking her out the back yard while I slip out the front.
However when it is time for dad to go to work we mostly have the same reaction, tho she is a bit better with me home.
I reckon if it was you leaving each day your boy would be the same, not wanting you to go! He knows he has you all day, but he just wants his dad too! Don't see it as rejection to you, just that he wants both mum and dad with him all day!

DD1 July 2004 DD2 August 2007 DS September 2009

Sign in to follow this topic