Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Dummies/pacifier Lock Rss

Hi

Was just wondering if anyone knows a good way to get my toddler off his dummy. We have tried things like putting stuff on them so they taste yuck, putting a tiny hole it one and also making him throw it in the bin himself but he is hysterical. Any other tips before I need to resort to just putting up with the crying and no sleep. Thanks
If He's that attached it maybe take him on a 'special' trip to buy a new soft toy. One of his choosing. and be clear that this is to replace the dummy if he wants the soft toy, no dummy. If that doesn't work or you don't like the idea I'd also be inclined to go cold turkey. smile
Thank you for the advice will give the soft toy thing a go and see if that works if not then cold turkey it is. Thank you
I'm in the same predicament so I'm following this post.
Hi there. Can I ask how old your toddler is? We just got rid of my son's at Easter time. He is 2yrs 6mnths. He only had his dummy for sleep times and he LOVED it. We kept telling him in the lead up to Easter that the Easter Bunny will take his dummies and will leave him some surprises. He wasn't too keen on the idea but we stuck with it. We had a bit of crying the first two nights when going to bed, but that was it! Done and dusted. The same happened with my daughter when we did it with her except the fairies took hers away and left a little treat for each dummy they found. I think leaving it until they both were around 2 and a half meant they had an understanding, but weren't too old to be totally dependent on it.
Hi my son is only 18 months old so like you mentioned he doesn't really have a clear understanding of what's going on. He also only uses it for sleeping and we are now at the stage where even mentioning bed or sleeping he starts to cry before he has to hop in bed. He's now also not having a nap during the day because he hasn't got a dummy. Everything else has failed and so I think I may leave him with it until he can understand what's going on as I am starting to feel bad that he isn't sleeping very well. Thanks for the advice.
Hay there sorry to hear things didn't end up working out. I feel a little bad I didn't ask you for his age, I just assumed that when you wrote toddler he was 2years old or older. I would probably wait till at least then because as now mentioned before they don't really understand it at that age. Hope your little man gets some sleep.
KrEeDaNcE wrote:
Hi my son is only 18 months old so like you mentioned he doesn't really have a clear understanding of what's going on. He also only uses it for sleeping and we are now at the stage where even mentioning bed or sleeping he starts to cry before he has to hop in bed. He's now also not having a nap during the day because he hasn't got a dummy. Everything else has failed and so I think I may leave him with it until he can understand what's going on as I am starting to feel bad that he isn't sleeping very well. Thanks for the advice.

Unless the dummy is causing problems (like him waking in the night and needing you to go in multiple times to give it back) I would just let him have it for another year or so. They don't do any harm esp if only used during sleep.

Yes I agree with the last few posts and have decided to let him keep it until he is old enough to understand letting it go and that he doesn't need it. Thank you all for the advice really appreciate it.
Sign in to follow this topic