Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Need help - planning on baking own cake ! Rss

Hi,

I am hoping some lovely well experienced mummy is out there who wouldn't mind sharing with me a good cake receipe for my DS's 1st birthday!

I have access to a tin shaped "1" to cook it in but not sure how to actually go about it and quanities. I usually only make packet cakes but wouldn't know how many would be needed to fill the tin etc..... so thought I would give from scratch a go (with a trial run first of course!).

- So has anyone done packet ones before and how many do you need to fill a shaped tin?
- Does anyone have a nice from scratch receipe I could try (thought just something vanilla but suggestions welcome!)
- What about a yummy icing receipe? We all know the icing is the best part of a birthday cake!

TIA everyone - I'm sooo excited about this party grin
hey i always make vanilla cupcakes (but u can just use the batter for a normal cake tin) could always make the batter...than if that doesnt fill it make another to put in with it
Packed cakes are just fine and you should be ok just using one pack for a '1' cake, I'd buy a second just in case though.

I usually use a basic butter cake receipe or plain packet cakes and they work out well. You could try googling butter cake receipe, there are heaps out there and you can take your pick, they all usually work out.

About the icing, it depends how thick/rich you want it but I usually use a butter icing receipe with unsalted butter, vanilla extract and icing sugar. Just make sure the butter is at room temp and its makes easy hand mixing.

Most of all, relax and enjoy the process, a trial run is a great idea and remember its just a cake! Everyone will love it!
2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup caster sugar
125g butter, chopped
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tspn vanilla essence

1. Preheat the oven to 180C
2. Cream butter and sugar together, Add vanilla
3. Add eggs...mix in well
4. Sift and stir in half of flour, stir in half of milk, than rest of flour, rest of milk.
5. Spoon into tin or papers
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the cakes have risen and are golden and remove from the oven to cool.

This is almost the same as the icing i use (sometimes i add a lil vanilla in there) oh and dont forget to add food colouring grin

250g butter, cubed, at room temperature
450g (3 cups) pure icing sugar, sifted
60ml (1/4 cup) milk

Method
Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Use an electric beater to beat for 2 minutes or until very light and fluffy.

Gradually add the icing sugar and beat until the mixture is very pale and fluffy. Gradually add the milk and beat until smooth and well combined.
I did 2 birthday cakes last week, one a cookie monster and one a wiggles theme, I used this recipe from taste.com.au for the frosting.

Butter Cream Frosting
Ingredients
185g butter, softened (unsalted) I get one in a block wrapped in paper devondale brand I think.
2 1/4 cups icing sugar mixture
2 TBS Milk

But I didn't need the milk but I also added
250grams Philly Cream Cheese

Beat together, add a few drops of vanilla, colouring, or some lemon zest etc... everyone commented on how nice it was, I think it was the addition of the cream cheese.

I always use packet cakes for birthday cakes, don't know why as every other time I make a cake I do it from scratch, I normally use 2 packets.
RE what pan to use. If you have a normal cake pan, get a measuring jug and fill the pan with water and make a note of how many litres it is, and then do the same for the 1 pan and it should give you a reasonable idea of if you need to increase the recipe or not.
WOW some great idea's there everyone - thanks heaps.

I'm gunna do some experimenting and have a few smoko's in the process.

Cheers All.

Hi,

I am hoping some lovely well experienced mummy is out there who wouldn't mind sharing with me a good cake receipe for my DS's 1st birthday!

I have access to a tin shaped "1" to cook it in but not sure how to actually go about it and quanities. I usually only make packet cakes but wouldn't know how many would be needed to fill the tin etc..... so thought I would give from scratch a go (with a trial run first of course!).

- So has anyone done packet ones before and how many do you need to fill a shaped tin?
- Does anyone have a nice from scratch receipe I could try (thought just something vanilla but suggestions welcome!)
- What about a yummy icing receipe? We all know the icing is the best part of a birthday cake!

TIA everyone - I'm sooo excited about this party grin

hi there, i made my daughter's 1st bday cake by myself.. it was a big minnie mouse head.. i baked 3 round cakes.. when cooled i put them together in the shaped of minnie's head.. just had to cut a little off the ears so it would sit against the head.. very easy.. i used all betty crocker packet products.. they are always simple.. very moist and the best thing u can buy the frosting already made!!! and it taste's so yummy.. better yet they come in milk choc and white choc so it was perfect foe the colours for minnie's head.. with the eyes i used that black writing jel (u can buy at woolies or coles same spot as the frosting).. and her tounge i used red writing jel and the bow between her ears i used the red jel and put some little dots of the white choc frosting in it.. just like minnie's!! all of our guest loved the cake they asked where i bought it from!! and they loved the taste.. it was the talk of the party..
I also made so mars bar slice, mickey mouse shaped heads, on a skewer and dipped the ears into cadbury milk choc.. put into fridge to set.. i tell u no word of a lie.. i put them on the table and walked away for 1 min and they were all gone.. the adults had eaten them all!!
Sign in to follow this topic