Huggies Forum

birthday cake help Rss

My two kids are having a combined party and for the cake I'm going to make one big slab and half will be DD's the other half DS's. For DS's I think I'll do a t racetrack on it. The four corners will be coconut or piped icing grass. I need some ideas of things I can put in the four corners. I thought of making a couple of black and white checkered flags from paper and toothpicks. I just read a somewhere else about someone taking the wheels off cars and having a tyre pit. Any other ideas?? Also for the road part, would you use black icing or I read of someone using finely crushed chocolate biscuits. I'm going to use tic tacs as the white lines in the middle.
For DD's it's going to be ballerina cake. Any idea where I can find some small ballerinas suitable to use on the cake. I've tried cheap shops and spotlight with no luck. You can get them on Ebay for $15 with postage for plastic ones, but I'm hoping to get them a bit cheaper. Years ago the cheap shops were filled with small ornaments, now there's hardly any.
Hi
For the road, I would suggest black icing. With the tic tacs, biscuit wouldn't achieve the same contrast I think. As for the ballerinas, I recommend finding a cake supply shop in your area, they may have some little ballerinas for cheaper due to not having to pay postage etc. Good luck and enjoy!

Hi
For the road, I would suggest black icing. With the tic tacs, biscuit wouldn't achieve the same contrast I think. As for the ballerinas, I recommend finding a cake supply shop in your area, they may have some little ballerinas for cheaper due to not having to pay postage etc. Good luck and enjoy!

I found the ballerinas. I just went through the phone book and rang all the cake and party places. The last one I tried has some. smile I will use black icing. I was thinking the same thing with the biscuits. Thanks
This is the cake I made for my Ds's Birthday a couple of years ago

This is the cake I made for my Ds's Birthday a couple of years ago

Looks good. Did you use coconut in the middle? I'm tossing up between piping grass or coconut and the if I use coconut whether to use shredded or desicatted?

Looks good. Did you use coconut in the middle? I'm tossing up between piping grass or coconut and the if I use coconut whether to use shredded or desicatted?

Yeah I used desiccated coconut and it seemed to work well.

Yeah I used desiccated coconut and it seemed to work well.

Thanks. I think i'll do the coconut grass
I used licorice straps for the road on DS's cake last year and used his cars for decoration. Also found some chocolate Cars movie characters in target lolly section. Used car candles i got at Spotlight too.
Have fun!
Sign in to follow this topic