Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Would you be offended if Lock Rss

only for a holiday.

We live Far Northern NSW, DHs family live in Sydney. Planning a trip down in Jan to see them all for Christmas and was told we can't stay at their house because they have too much stuff the kids might get into and they will be camping and won't be there to watch them. We will be with the kids all the time, they are on 2 and nearly 4, so they won't be let run wild.

We only moved from Sydney last year, and have been back a few times and have stayed there before. 6 bedroom home with only DH's parents living there, so makes sense right? DH isn't as angry, insulted, upset as I am, as they are basically saying they don't trust us or our kids. My kids are always complimented on their manners and behaviour so they are not wild, so I don't get it.

Would you be offended and how would you handle them? I really just want to write them off, but know I can't, they are still DH's parents and my boys grandparents, but really they are nothing to me anymore. Would you feel the same?
I would feel insulted yes. Especially if your children are well-behaved it seems silly to make u all stay somewhere else with added expenses.
I would actually cancel and tell them to come to me if they wanna see the grandies and give them a number to a motel lol but thats me...

only for a holiday.

We live Far Northern NSW, DHs family live in Sydney. Planning a trip down in Jan to see them all for Christmas and was told we can't stay at their house because they have too much stuff the kids might get into and they will be camping and won't be there to watch them. We will be with the kids all the time, they are on 2 and nearly 4, so they won't be let run wild.

We only moved from Sydney last year, and have been back a few times and have stayed there before. 6 bedroom home with only DH's parents living there, so makes sense right? DH isn't as angry, insulted, upset as I am, as they are basically saying they don't trust us or our kids. My kids are always complimented on their manners and behaviour so they are not wild, so I don't get it.

Would you be offended and how would you handle them? I really just want to write them off, but know I can't, they are still DH's parents and my boys grandparents, but really they are nothing to me anymore. Would you feel the same?

Hey Hun,
Thats a bit rude of your PIL's even though they have a 6 bedroom house lol!! (Whats the point of having a huge house if you dont want family staying there). I wouldnt worry about them hun, can you stay with another family member?? What does your DH say about it?? If thats how they want to be if i was you i would stay at another family members house and dont bother with them and as the PP said if they want to see your children let them come to you!! I have nothing to do with my side of the family (long story) but DF family is so lovely!! Well i hope you can work something out hun. Good luck!! xx smile
Yeah I would be upset by that, and not quite sure how to handle it.

Guess I'd be tempted not to go at all, how come your DH isnt upset by it?

I have an Aunt who has made polite excuses that we cant stay at her holiday home for a night on our way back from QLD as they wont be there but she's an aunty and I guess that's fair enough if they arent there - but still its not like we'd wreck the place.
Yup, I sure would!

I have the same problem with my own parents, well, mainly my mother. Didnt want us at her house because it wasn't child proof and "the children might get hurt".

Surprisingly they did invite us to stay for a few days last Xmas. Everything that could have been broken was packed away. It actually wasn't a bad stay.

All year she has been talking about us coming up again this year, but now that the time is approaching, she's done a 180 and wants to come here instead "as it's easier" (for her).

I'd say to your inlaws that accomodation is too expensive for 2 adults and 2 kids at that time of year and if they want to have a Xmas get together they'll have to come to you. Then suggest a holiday park/ B & B/ or motel nearby for them to stay. Do it all on your terms.

Good luck!!
hmmm id be a little offended but when i read your post i thought u said u were going to syd to see them, but then u said they wouldnt be there cos they were going away camping? so maybe reschedule the trip to see them for a time when they are home? i know i hate when my inlaws come to stay at our place, they have keys and if we arent here they just let themselves in (they always say they will call when they are leaving but they never do so we never know what time they will be arriving) and i get so uncomfortable cos i know they will be going thru our stuff looking in our spare room and our bedroom and going thru our computers cos they are like that and have no shame about it! not saying ur like that just that i understand that people feel uncomfortable having others stay in their home while they are not there.

Thaks for the replies and to answer a few questions, when we were organising a time to come down, they were not going camping. Between the time we said we were coming down to the time we said what date (about 3 weeks) they went and booked camping. I gave them 2 possible weekends and they are away for both of them.

DH is so laid back, not much gets to him, he already thinks his parents have lost the plot, so just does what ever he has to, to keep the peace. Most of the time i respect that even though I do not agree with what his parents do or say. But that was the final straw for me. I have had enough.

I would love to cancel, but have other family and friends to see, but when they suggested we come camping for a few days, i said NO WAY!! DH said what about a day visit, and i said yes to that, but for the kids, not them.

They are coming to stay with us late january and would LOVE to tell them where the nearest hotel is, and hire car. But I just can't do that, and DH won't stoop to their level.
Sign in to follow this topic