Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Marriage Lock Rss

I am not married, i have wondered what the benefits are.
Not trying to be sarcastic, i truly want to know what changes for you when you are married.
I mean would things be easier for us for loans and what other advantages are there to being married. I am really interested in your views.

Do you like being married? And did you feel any different after you were?
Would you do it again?
Advantages:

Having the same last name as your kids
Knowing you have a real commitment from your partner and vice versa.
Knowing your kids will not grow up being labeled 'bastards' by other horrible kids sad

Um thats all i can think of smile

Can think of heaps of disadvantages tho hehehehehe

Advantages:

Having the same last name as your kids
Knowing you have a real commitment from your partner and vice versa.
Knowing your kids will not grow up being labeled 'bastards' by other horrible kids sad

Um thats all i can think of smile

Can think of heaps of disadvantages tho hehehehehe

Never thought that someone would call the kids Bastards(especially these days).
But i could change my name anyway to have the same last name.
The commitment thing im not sure about.
Thanks for your opinion.
I certainly didn't think of it as "what's in it for me" when I married my dh. It just doesn't come down to that. It's a mental and conscious thing of being emotionally bonded to each other.
It's 2011, I really don't think women get married or need to to be recognised or get a loan???
When we had kids it was important to me that we had the same surname, but you don't have to be married to have that so it never came into it.

Never thought that someone would call the kids Bastards(especially these days).
But i could change my name anyway to have the same last name.
The commitment thing im not sure about.
Thanks for your opinion.

Yeah my best friends kids always get called it at school. Its really sad and stink. I almost got out of the car and dealt to the the little sh*t who call Mr 9 that.
Yeah you could change your name but like the commitment thing, it goes hand in hand for my beliefs in marriage and what it means to commit your life to another person that strongly.
I read a pretty good book recently called "Committed" which is the sequel to "Eat, Pray Love".

It was all about this, and looked at marriage in western and non western cultures, and the history of marriage through time and how it has affected women. A really good read. smile

I am not married, i have wondered what the benefits are.
Not trying to be sarcastic, i truly want to know what changes for you when you are married.
I mean would things be easier for us for loans and what other advantages are there to being married. I am really interested in your views.

Do you like being married? And did you feel any different after you were?
Would you do it again?

I didnt get married for any type of benefit, I got married because I know I want to spend the rest of my life with DH and wanted to be his wife. In the first few months after getting married it did feel a little odd and like I'd lost my identity a bit, changing name etc but then realised nothing really changed except for my name and that DH and I are an official team, its really nice to have that committment plus the wedding and honeymoon was awesome smile

I love being married, 13 years now and still very happy.
I maybe worded this wrong, i am not saying whats in it for me at all.
I am just asking, apart from the piece of paper whats really different thats all.
My partner has wanted to get married for a while now, and i have been thinking about it a bit lately, so was just wondering what everyones thoughts were.
I didnt really think of any "advantages" either. I just knew that DH was the one i wanted to spend the rest of my life with.

For me, I couldnt wait to have DH's last name, to me and US instead of me and him. It's hard to word it, but life has been better for us!

Although changing your name on everything is a pain, i still have my maiden name on my bank card and elec bill lol

I didnt get married for any type of benefit, I got married because I know I want to spend the rest of my life with DH and wanted to be his wife. In the first few months after getting married it did feel a little odd and like I'd lost my identity a bit, changing name etc but then realised nothing really changed except for my name and that DH and I are an official team, its really nice to have that committment plus the wedding and honeymoon was awesome smile

I love being married, 13 years now and still very happy.

Very much agree. Your marriage sounds like mine. My DH is the most wonderful man ive ever known.
Myself and DH have only just married. We had been together for over 5 years, have a gorgeous son together and done all the things married couples do like buy a home together etc.
We knew that one day we would take the step and do the whole wedding thing, but hubby didnt seem to be in any rush to actually pop the question. When he finally did it, I was so surprised I actually laughed and then burst into tears.
On the actual day we had our closest family and friends with us and we had a ball. Walking down the aisle to my husband to be was pretty exciting and when I came face to face with him, I could see in his eyes how happy he was and the love we shared.

As far as benefits go I dont really things differ that much from being defacto to being married. Doesnt make it easier for loans, both parties still need all the same identification etc. Yep you can change your surname to match your kids without getting married etc etc.
But taking that step and making that public commitment to each other is something that is hard to put into words.

Julia (14yrs), Cooper (6yrs) & Amarlia (14 months)

Myself and DH have only just married. We had been together for over 5 years, have a gorgeous son together and done all the things married couples do like buy a home together etc.
We knew that one day we would take the step and do the whole wedding thing, but hubby didnt seem to be in any rush to actually pop the question. When he finally did it, I was so surprised I actually laughed and then burst into tears.
On the actual day we had our closest family and friends with us and we had a ball. Walking down the aisle to my husband to be was pretty exciting and when I came face to face with him, I could see in his eyes how happy he was and the love we shared.

As far as benefits go I dont really things differ that much from being defacto to being married. Doesnt make it easier for loans, both parties still need all the same identification etc. Yep you can change your surname to match your kids without getting married etc etc.
But taking that step and making that public commitment to each other is something that is hard to put into words.

Thanks for a thoughtful and heartfelt answer.
It is making me think quite a bit about getting married. smile
Sign in to follow this topic