Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Marriage Lock Rss

the only pratical benifit i can see out of being married is all of us having the same last name. a really good perk its the bling that comes along with it!! but i still would have married DH if he gave me a $2 ring from a candy machine grin

DH has said he only proposed when he knew he never wanted to be with anyone else, only me and we got married becuase it symbolises to us and to anyone else who cares, that we have committed our lives to each other for ever and we wanted to publicly share with our friends and family to show our love for each other.

but at the same time, i dont think we are any more or less commited just because we are married compared to the next couple in the same position as us, house, kids etc that are not married.
I love being married - I met DH when I was 19 and we got married 1 year later. 5 years on we're still as happy, and more in love than ever. It was just the natural thing for us, it felt right. It wasn't really about practical things like the name change or the piece of paper; it was the affirmation of our commitment to each other, setting things in stone I guess lol. I was happy being his girlfriend, but it didn't feel like 'forever' - it was the waiting period. Being his wife feels like forever. That's how I felt about it, and DH felt the same, marriage was important for both of us.

I didn't live with DH before we were married, but I have a friend who married her DP (now DH) recently, after living together for 12 years and having two kids. She said it's really cemented their relationship, and even though she felt secure and happy in it previously, it really feels complete now, and their family unit feels solid. She used to say that getting married just wasn't important to either of them; maybe in the future sometime but there was no rush. Once they got around to it, she was really glad they did. It was nice to see how happy they were smile
You can all have the same name by deed poll. You dont need a piece of paper for commitment. The only difference I can see is if you split theres noactual divorce. But the biggest, which I recently found out, is super. De facto does not have the same rights when it comes to super after a split.
I wanted to be married because we had kids and its also a bit harder to get out of it and we work a little harder than if i was just his girlfriend.

Commitment to our family, we got married when our oldest started school because we didn't want to have the whole partner thing going on....

I would also rather be the ex wife if things went belly up than an ex partner...

i think also when you have kids your ideas change a little i prob wouldn't have bothered if we didn't have kids and were foot loose and fancy free lol
I have been with my partner going on 8 year this year. Engaged for 7.

We are finally walking down the isle in 6 months time smile

To me its about teh commitment, the vows and sharing the same name.

We already have 2 children and i hate being a different name!! I feel like im always correcting myself and when i ring up school i have to say this is Sara Smith, Lewis Trusts Mum ( names made up ) and it shits me! LOL

I have our wedding book in my room that i have been reading over vows we can have for our wedding and i get teary ALL the time! To me it will mean so much to have said these special words infront our of friends and family!

My boys are also walking me down the isle. It is just going to be so speical for us!!
For DH and we wanted that level of commitment before we started having kids. My parents were 18 when they had me, 20 when they got married (married for 19 years but now divorced). DHs parents were never married, they broke up before he was even born.

So yeah we wanted to be in a concrete secure marriage for our kids sake mainly. We were together for 9.5 years before we married, 2.5 years ago now smile
Once you get married you can stop putting out and you can cut all of your hair off.

That's what my hubby reakons anyway.

I love being married and done it for the same reasons as above.

One thing I will say though, and it's jst my opinion, but you shouldn't have to think about whether you want to get married or not...if you love someone enough.

Once you get married you can stop putting out and you can cut all of your hair off.

That's what my hubby reakons anyway.

I love being married and done it for the same reasons as above.

One thing I will say though, and it's jst my opinion, but you shouldn't have to think about whether you want to get married or not...if you love someone enough.

I dont think thats fair, i love my partner more than anything, because im not sure i want to get married does that mean i love him less?
Thats why i started this thread, i know we are committed to each other, but was unsure about the marriage part.

Just so i get your side of things, how is being married proof that i love him enough?

I dont think thats fair, i love my partner more than anything, because im not sure i want to get married does that mean i love him less?
Thats why i started this thread, i know we are committed to each other, but was unsure about the marriage part.

Just so i get your side of things, how is being married proof that i love him enough?

Sorry I didn't mean to offend. I think it came out wrong on screen.

I didn't mean that you didn't love your partner, but in my opinion and experience I didn't have to think twice when he popped the question. I truely think that if I did have to think about it, then either he wasn't the right guy or it was the wrong time...iygwim.
Before I met my DH I never wanted to get married or have kids. With my previous partners I always thought that being together was enough and that marriage was just a piece of paper.

I met my DH and after 2 weeks I knew I wanted to marry him and have his babies. I don't know what changed but I suddenly wanted to be tied to him in every way possible and spend the rest of my life with him. I wanted everyone to know that he was mine and that we were meant for each other. 7 years later, 5 wonderful years of married life and a beautiful baby girl and I still love him more than ever.

You don't have to be married to someone to be with them for the rest of your life and really there's no "benefits" as I see it. You do it for love.
Before i met hubby i never thought i would get married or have kids but we being together 5 years married almost 4 years.
The only good thing is that you have the same surname and that i know at the end of the day he always going to be there for me.

The worst part is his family are now my inlaws.

I certainly didn't think of it as "what's in it for me" when I married my dh. It just doesn't come down to that. It's a mental and conscious thing of being emotionally bonded to each other.
It's 2011, I really don't think women get married or need to to be recognised or get a loan???
When we had kids it was important to me that we had the same surname, but you don't have to be married to have that so it never came into it.

completely agree. nothing changed when we got married other than loving the fact that we were now married. i love being married. i love being a wife as he loves being my husband.
Sign in to follow this topic