Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Divorce Question Lock Rss

I am sorry you had to go through that.....

but if you are talking in regards to marriage, isn't it the emotional stuff that people would be concerned with. Why should it be harder legally to get divorced if its based on emotion?

Sorry if I am not making much sense. What I mean is that it seems too easy to get divorce legally. All you have to do is sign some papers, pay an amount of money, split things up and its done. I think they should make it either more expensive, or make you go through a certain amount of counselling sessions, before you can legally get divorced.

This way, it may make people think more seriously about getting married. IYKWIM?

I know a 25 year old woman in our local town who is about to get divorced for the second time. I think if it was harder and more costly for her to get divorced, she may seriously think a lot harder about getting married a 3rd time? If that makes sense?

I had a lady I was working with ask me what it was like to wake up every day and want to be with my DH.

I told her that I dont wake up everyday and think that and that even during bad times I wont think that for a week because everyone has ups and downs but you have to have bad times to appreciate the good.

She was amazed because she thought at 26 yrs old that if you have any feelings like that it is time to split, it was like a light bulb turned on ,she couldnt work out why her relationships didnt work, even with nice guys that treated her well.

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

Sorry if I am not making much sense. What I mean is that it seems too easy to get divorce legally. All you have to do is sign some papers, pay an amount of money, split things up and its done. I think they should make it either more expensive, or make you go through a certain amount of counselling sessions, before you can legally get divorced.

This way, it may make people think more seriously about getting married. IYKWIM?

I know a 25 year old woman in our local town who is about to get divorced for the second time. I think if it was harder and more costly for her to get divorced, she may seriously think a lot harder about getting married a 3rd time? If that makes sense?

I know what you are saying. smile

I just don't know if thats the answer though.... I mean who can say whether someone has a good enough reason to get divorced. Why is it a problem that someone gets married 3 times? Does it mean that its not fair that she has 3 weddings or that she doesn't have the same respect for marriage that someone who only gets married once has? Are people that only get married once and work through the ups and downs missing out on something?
Once you strip marriage of the emotion surrounding it, its a contract. I think it would be detrimental to those who really need a divorce to make it harder to get. Just for the sake of stopping those who maybe don't think of it in the same way as most.

I had a lady I was working with ask me what it was like to wake up every day and want to be with my DH.

I told her that I dont wake up everyday and think that and that even during bad times I wont think that for a week because everyone has ups and downs but you have to have bad times to appreciate the good.

She was amazed because she thought at 26 yrs old that if you have any feelings like that it is time to split, it was like a light bulb turned on ,she couldnt work out why her relationships didnt work, even with nice guys that treated her well.

its funny how people don't realise isn't it. I had a 35 yr old woman at work assume a similar thing. Dh and I had been together for 7 years, married and then been together for another couple of years and she was spouting to another work colleague that not everyone can have a perfect relationship like us. Apparently being together for that number of years means there are no problems.... blink

I know what you are saying. smile

I just don't know if thats the answer though.... I mean who can say whether someone has a good enough reason to get divorced. Why is it a problem that someone gets married 3 times? Does it mean that its not fair that she has 3 weddings or that she doesn't have the same respect for marriage that someone who only gets married once has? Are people that only get married once and work through the ups and downs missing out on something?
Once you strip marriage of the emotion surrounding it, its a contract. I think it would be detrimental to those who really need a divorce to make it harder to get. Just for the sake of stopping those who maybe don't think of it in the same way as most.

Okay. I can see that you won't give this one up. We will just have to agree to disagree this time. smile

Okay. I can see that you won't give this one up. We will just have to agree to disagree this time. smile

sounds good. smile
maybe raising the legal age to get married might be an option instead?
I think alot of the time ppl forcus more on the wedding then the marriage!! there is so much competition over who spent more, who had the better location, the most bridemaids rather then making sure you are giving your partner 'good' attention, helping them when they ask, and showing you care.

DF and I are finally getting married after 4 and a half years together (may not seem like long) but we've already had a rough 4 years with a surprise pregnancy and 2 MAJOR moves to different cities....and we've really pulled through.

I get annoyed when ppl leture me on my wedding day, saying 'oh you don't want to go to basic' or 'oh gee you haven't picked your dress out yet?' and i just feel sometime ppl focus on the wrong thing....the wedding day will be lovely of course but i'm more excited about being DF's wife then then Bride!

i was always under the impression that you had to be legally seperated for a year before you could get divorced?

i guess if someone is unhappy i think its unfair for them to have to remain in that situation.

my dh and i have been together since i was 18 so 5 yrs and married for 1 and a half,so still pretty much in the honeymoon phase smile and not planning on ending it any time soon, i got his name tattoed on my foot which to most people sounds stupid, but the reason i did it is because i believe there are people who dont take marriage seriously, and i wanted to show that my commitment wasn't going to change , which is meant to be the point of marriage.

however we have had our ups and downs as were both young and still growing up if that makes sense, i guess the important thing is that we love each other so much that its more important than being right, i think when you love being right more than your partner thats when theres trouble.. oh and this was the advice my grandfather gve me before he passed away he was married 60 years smile

I get annoyed when ppl leture me on my wedding day, saying 'oh you don't want to go to basic' or 'oh gee you haven't picked your dress out yet?' and i just feel sometime ppl focus on the wrong thing....the wedding day will be lovely of course but i'm more excited about being DF's wife then then Bride!

hehe i rememeber there were so many things that went wrong on my wedding day and everyone was stressed out around me but the only thing i could think about was seeing my husband at the end of the aisle, i thought no matter what happens hes always going to be there and as long as i get to say i do thats the only thing that matters smile
I'll put my two cents worth in from someone who has been down this road twice. I am not divulging huge info here either. Both ended from cheating & domestic violence. I put up with this from both situations for years. The process is long, stressful, costly, emotional & far from easy. Yes you legally have to be separated for 12 months before you can apply for divorce & then that can take months before it is even listed to be heard in the courts. So from my point of view, no it is not too easy. And for those married less than 2 years who apply for divorce, it is even harder. There is mandatory counselling involved for both parties.

I'll put my two cents worth in from someone who has been down this road twice. I am not divulging huge info here either. Both ended from cheating & domestic violence. I put up with this from both situations for years. The process is long, stressful, costly, emotional & far from easy. Yes you legally have to be separated for 12 months before you can apply for divorce & then that can take months before it is even listed to be heard in the courts. So from my point of view, no it is not too easy. And for those married less than 2 years who apply for divorce, it is even harder. There is mandatory counselling involved for both parties.

that would of been an awful experience for you, in cases like this you wish that they would have made it easier for you
Sign in to follow this topic