Huggies Forum

friends Rss

This is going to make me sound really pathetic but I have no close friends in Christchurch anymore. I am not very confident and find it hard to make friends. I feel quite down about myself and need some ideas of how to meet people and actually make friends.
Hi , I am a Playcentre fanatic!!!

Playcentre is a parent based co-operative which not only provides a great early childhood education for children, but a place to belong, learn and make friends for adults too.

If you have prschoolers I highly recommend finding out where you nearest is and going along to cheack it out. Some of my best friends are Playcentre mothers.

If you google Playcentre it should show to a website that you can use to find the information.

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

I know how you feel. It suck when you realise that all the friends you had have either drifted away, moved away or treat you like a weird alien because you suddenly have a child.

I am trying to arrange some coffee dates with people that I am loosly friends with but get along well with, like the wives/girlfriends of my husbands friends and I am hoping to find some mothers groups in my area (which is unfortunately not in NZ or we could catch up wink) so when I get more mobile I can try make some connections there.
Im the same way, my school friends have either moved away or have a life of their own and made new friends so i dont see them. I am very shy also so it takes me a while to get to know people, unfortunately alot of people think i am a snob because of how shy i am but it's just that i dont know what to say to people!! Im going to try taking my DD to a kiddie gym near where i live and hope that some people talk to me :-)I also take her to music lessons but the people there are already friends with each other so i dont feel like i fit in... Its very hard especially when we're shy.
It is hard to make new friends. I moved to Oz from the UK with my now DH, when I was 21. Being young and having a then 1 year old, it was definately hard to meet new people. I found that most playgroups had members that were already in a close knit group. I have a few friends now, but they also know heaps of people whom they have known for years, so it is hard to fit in. I too am quite quiet when it comes to meeting people, and on more than one occasion people have thought I'm rude because I don't say much!! It is tough for us quieter/shy people!!
I do get a pang of jealously when I see photo's of friends all out for a meal/night out etc, and I haven't been invited. I do wonder if they think I'm the 'safe' friend who has 4 kids (most have 2), and likes to bake cakes!!
I miss my friends in the UK who I grew up with, and who really know me. I was a crazy person once who likes do dance and have a laugh still!
I think that once we have kids, people tend to think of us as mummy's who do mummy things!

This is going to make me sound really pathetic but I have no close friends in Christchurch anymore. I am not very confident and find it hard to make friends. I feel quite down about myself and need some ideas of how to meet people and actually make friends.

hey i am from chch aswell. and since i have gotten pregnant i have found tho my friends still talk to me we dont hang out as often. as none of my friends have kids and my friends who do live in ashburton or auckland.
i find it hard to make friends aswell it can b quite dawnting but jst need to put urself out there at playgroups or wrk or uni.

hey i am from chch aswell. and since i have gotten pregnant i have found tho my friends still talk to me we dont hang out as often. as none of my friends have kids and my friends who do live in ashburton or auckland.
i find it hard to make friends aswell it can b quite dawnting but jst need to put urself out there at playgroups or wrk or uni.

The trouble with me making friends at work is I live in Aranui and work in Rolleston! Too far to go. Am not even thinking about studying with three children under 5. I did go back to church though and there is a mainly music group just round the corner from us I think so may start going there. My main problem is that when I do meet people they think I'm a snob cos I don't know what to say to them.

I have had no friends for years since I left work as I have a disability.I don't go to play groups as when I have gone to places I have been asked if I'm contagious and don't want to be an embarassment to DS and I have been made fun of and all I have is tourettes so I try to avoid to many big places also I'm sick of trying to no avail and don't want be disappointed any more

I'm sorry you feel that way. Do people really think it is contagious? That's pretty ignorant. And making fun, very immature. sad Have you tried a church? People there are usually understanding
double
There are lots of us out there that just dont have close friends and it is hard to have that with ppl there are ppl i click with more so sometimes, but with kiddies sometimes it is hard to be really close like when u had friends b4 kiddies.

There are lots of us out there that just dont have close friends and it is hard to have that with ppl there are ppl i click with more so sometimes, but with kiddies sometimes it is hard to be really close like when u had friends b4 kiddies.

That does make me feel better! I still wish I had someone I could call to go for coffee though!

Believe it or not it is true I have had people take their kids away from me when I walk past, I have been embarassed like you would not believe I wish people understand but they don't I am hoping my DS don't get it

That's really rude! I think it's important to be polite at the least. I also think it's important to educate my kids on stuff, such as why the man is in a wheelchair or the lady is pregnant and not just fat etc. Not just take them away so they don't see.
We moved from Aust to Dunedin about 2 mths ago and we knew NO-ONE, so i know how you feel.

I also find it hard to make friends and have usually had one good friend at a time and not many others over the years.

We go to a church here and decided before we came to just choose someone or a few people and BE their friend- even if sometimes i feel like they don't want me smile because its probably just my feelings-not them. Its not always easy though. I just try to remember to take them at their word - so if they invite me to something or come up to talk to me i assume its cos they want to smile It makes it easier to chat or do things with people.
Sign in to follow this topic