Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. Your Relationships
  5. DF wants to start smoking... Any advice?

DF wants to start smoking... Any advice? Lock Rss

So my DF works with people who are chain smokers and he said he has one here and there (maybe 2 a day) but wants to start smoking as it's a "stress reliever". He does work 12-14 hours a day so I understand why he would be stressed but I hate smoking! I won't let my DS anywhere near my parents when they smoke and I hate it when people smoke near parks where my son plays.

Anyway... What would you do/say if your partner said he wanted to start smoking? Can I even do anything? I don't want to sound like his mother by telling him what to do and there are so many downsides (cancer, increased chances my DS will smoke when he is older and second hand smoke, cost of smoking...) so it's hard not to say anything.

Do you's have any experience/advice? grin

Anyway... What would you do/say if your partner said he wanted to start smoking? Can I even do anything? I don't want to sound like his mother by telling him what to do and there are so many downsides (cancer, increased chances my DS will smoke when he is older and second hand smoke, cost of smoking...) so it's hard not to say anything.

Do you's have any experience/advice? grin

I'd tell him to go and see a psychologist. People normally start smoking when they're in their teens and get addicted - that's how tobacco companies make their millions. Nicotine does not relieve stress. An adult who is fully aware of the dangers of smoking and only wants to do so to look "cool" really needs his head checked.
(Just my honest opinion)
My son is 2 1/2 and i've nagged my partner since i fell preggas to give up, he has tried several times and failed he also works long hours, with men that smoke so pretty simalar situation.

I dont allow him anywhere near our son after he's had a smoke until he brushes his teeth and washes his hands!!!

Kiddi <3

have him read allan carrs book the aesy way to give up smoking, he completely changes the way you look at ciggerettes and will make a convincing argument that its doesnt relieve stress but creates it

I'd tell him to go and see a psychologist. People normally start smoking when they're in their teens and get addicted - that's how tobacco companies make their millions. Nicotine does not relieve stress. An adult who is fully aware of the dangers of smoking and only wants to do so to look "cool" really needs his head checked.
(Just my honest opinion)

Thanks for an honest answer grin Wow - didn't know that cigarettes don't relieve stress. I'll be sure to tell him it's all psychological. I know he's being a childish idiot though - just wondering what others would in the same situation I'm in.

Thanks for an honest answer grin Wow - didn't know that cigarettes don't relieve stress. I'll be sure to tell him it's all psychological. I know he's being a childish idiot though - just wondering what others would in the same situation I'm in.

It really depends how strongly you feel about it. I know I wouldn't want my DS to inhale secondhand smoke. I wouldn't want money which could be spent on DS being wasted on cigarettes. I wouldn't want to see my husband die of lung cancer/heart disease/stroke.
Maybe he could find another job?

(Just my honest opinion)

What she said ! ^^^

It really depends how strongly you feel about it. I know I wouldn't want my DS to inhale secondhand smoke. I wouldn't want money which could be spent on DS being wasted on cigarettes. I wouldn't want to see my husband die of lung cancer/heart disease/stroke.
Maybe he could find another job?

These are the exact reasons why I don't want him to start. He just moved to this new job so he can't really change jobs, I just think he needs to pull his head out of his as* and be an adult. Don't know if I should be the one to tell him or if I should let him realise that on his own.

These are the exact reasons why I don't want him to start. He just moved to this new job so he can't really change jobs, I just think he needs to pull his head out of his as* and be an adult. Don't know if I should be the one to tell him or if I should let him realise that on his own.

I'd tell him.
Having looked after hundreds of people with brain injuries caused by aneurisms and seeing a person with lung cancer cough up a bit of his lung, I feel so strongly about this issue that if my DH took up smoking I would leave him.
If he's smoking 2 a day then he doesn't want to start smoking, he is smoking. IMO he isn't really saying he wants to start smoking, he's asking your permission. Tell him what you really feel, it's then up to him whether he hears you.
Totally agree with everyone here my DH constantly nags me to start smoking he says he loves the taste and feeling?! But i have told him I wouldn't give him any more children and would possibly leave him. The chemicals from cigarettes also seep from the pores of a smoker and increase the risk of sids in newborns who sleep in the same room!! But your DP is already a smoker as the previous person said, i would be getting him to quit pronto!!
it took me 9 months of nagging to get my DP to quit smoking after 13years of smoking her quit 2 weeks before the due date. my suggestion tell him to not start it. The effects it has on the kids is BAD. If my DP wanted to hold bub he would of had to either change his shirt shower and even can get the bad results from just him breathing on you bub. Its no good what so ever even if they dont smoke around them. once they start its hard to stop for a lot of people and its EXPENSIVE! where saving just under a 100 a week from him quiting! Bad all round he should know this as adult = S
Sign in to follow this topic