Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. Travelling with your Children
  5. Anyone with any knowledge on moving overseas?

Anyone with any knowledge on moving overseas? Lock Rss

I haven't done it but would love to. My daydream would be to get my degree and get a job as a park ranger in an amazing national park in North America. I'm totally dreaming but.

Where would you like to go?
Mexico sounds cool. I don't know much about it really. I lived in Texas USA for a year, about 8 hours from the Mexican border. That's about as close as I've ever been.
Oh that was when I was in high school, I did a student exchange program. I am not sure the paperwork, it was through a student exchange organisation so i had to apply and be interviewed before they accepted me. I had a student visa and had requirements to attend school and achieve a minimum level of academic achievement. I lived with a host family. After 12 months in Texas I came home to Australia with the biggest American drawl. I had a really strong accent it was funny.

Not sure your age but Canada and the UK have work visas that might work for you.
howdy stranger wink

another option (although may not suit you guys) is if you are able to get work in the country you are looking at and then the company you or your partner are working for will help with all the necessary paperwork and visas.

as for the finding the job part - not sure sorry! I am guessing you can look online though

how's miss WD ?

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

Yep, did this just over a year ago! DH got a transfer through his work to uk. As he also has a British passport, he was over straight away. DD1 and I had to wait for visas which took ages! We started off in wales, then he was transferred to England and in June last year, Dublin became our home. So DD1 and I literally had three countries in six months and with our last move, I was just over 12 weeks pregnant, and our little Irish/kiwi baby arrived last month. Who knows where we will end up next, but hopefully have another 1.5 years here in Dublin.

Good luck with what you decide to do smile

Forgot to add, that we had also made the move from nz to aus in 2005, then back to nz, then back to aus!
Andreandfiona wrote:
Yep, did this just over a year ago! DH got a transfer through his work to uk. As he also has a British passport, he was over straight away. DD1 and I had to wait for visas which took ages! We started off in wales, then he was transferred to England and in June last year, Dublin became our home. So DD1 and I literally had three countries in six months and with our last move, I was just over 12 weeks pregnant, and our little Irish/kiwi baby arrived last month. Who knows where we will end up next, but hopefully have another 1.5 years here in Dublin.

Good luck with what you decide to do smile

Hello, I had a really good friend who did this, she had the prettiest baby born just before xmas.

I moved from nz to oz about 10 years ago now. It wasn't too hard as I had friends and family over here that I stayed with. Definitely do your homework on where you want to live, what sort of things that country can offer you in the way of jobs but also look into what arrangements if you are only on a visa, ie medical costs and things.
Hi MWD! Nice to see you popping in again xx

www.facebook.com/LeReveWithSally

I thought something had happened to you.
Our uk visas were a nightmare as we were going as spouse/family of a uk citizen. I provided probably 2kgs worth of paperwork to 'prove' we were a legitimate couple ie six months worth of bank statements, wedding pictures, marriage certificate etc, and had to provide all the originals plus copies of the originals! And each visa was about $1600 aud. DH was over in July of 2012, DD and I didn't get there till dec 2012 as visas were finalized in November. Not too sure how it works for working visas.

Medical wise, it was no issues with getting NHS numbers and all my maternity care here in Ireland has all been covered. Although, might be a good idea to look for a country that has reciprocal rights re hospital care etc with Australia.
MWD wrote:
JAZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! wub MWD is so good thank you! Just her and I now though, we're a two man wolf pack ready to take on the world ph34r

Lol- can just picture the two of you, backpacks on and ready to roll tongue

Hope you are going ok though.

My theory is, if opportunity knocks, take it!
So if you are able to get out and find an o/s adventure why not try it? You can always come back when you need to.

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

MWD!! Hello my lovely. Omg have I missed you. I swear, no word of a lie, I was thinking of you today whilst I was hanging out the washing laugh and now here you are smile

Sorry (and blown away!) to hear of your separation but happy to hear that you're happy! Hope everything is ok though.

You only live once girl, WD is not in school yet so you are both free spirits- go for it! You'll never know til you try and if it doesn't work out or you don't like it over there- you just come home smile

So nice to 'see' you round here xx
Nice to see you around. Sorry to hear about your split but it is good that you are feeling so happy. Good luck with your adventures that lie before you! I've never lived o/s, only travelled so no advice here. Take care xx
Sign in to follow this topic